Ever wonder what the timeline for Middle-earth was? Below are all the key dates from the forging of the Ring all the way to the passing of King Elessar. Hope you enjoy!
The Second Age of Middle-earth
- The Three Rings are completed in Eregoin.
- Sauron secretly forges the One Ring in Mount Doom, binding the other Rings of Power to him.
- Elendil and Gil-Galad lead the Last Alliance of Men and Elves to defeat Sauron, but Elendil's son Isildur keeps the One Ring and loses the chance to destroy Sauron completely.
The Third Age of Middle-earth
- The White Council is formed in order to combat the growing darkness in Mirkwood.
- Deagol, a hobbit-like creature, finds the One Ring in the great river Anduin and is murdered by his brother Smeagol.
- Smaug the Dragon descends on Erebor (the Lonely Mountain), and lays waste to the nearby town of Dale. The Dwarven king Thror escapes with Thrain II and Thorin II.
- Gandalf steals into Dol Guldur and discovers Sauron as the source of Mirkwood's growing evil. He also finds Thrain and receives the key and map of Erebor.
March 25, 2941
- Thorin and Gandalf's chance meeting at the Prancing Pony in Bree.
April 25, 2941
- Gandalf meets Bilbo on the doorstep of Bag End.
April 26, 2941
- The Unexpected Party
July 16, 2941
- The Company is captured by the Goblins dwelling deep within the Misty Mountains.
July 17, 2941
- Bilbo is lost in the Goblin tunnels and stumbles upon the Ring
July 19, 2941
- Bilbo encounters Gollum and narrowly escapes with his life (and the ring) after besting the creature in battle of wits.
- A group of vicious Wargs traps the Company in the tops of some trees, but the adventurers are all saved by Giant Eagles.
August 22, 2941
- Bilbo battles giant spiders in Mirkwood.
August 23, 2941
- The dwarves are captured by Thranduil and the Wood-Elves, but Bilbo eludes capture by using the One Ring to disappear.
September 22, 2941
- After escaping from the elves by floating away in some barrels, Bilbo and the dwarves reach Lake-town.
October 30, 2941 Durin's Day
- Bilbo opens the Secret Door of the Lonely Mountain and steals into Smaug's lair, where the hobbit snatches a chalice and returns to the Company.
November 1, 2941
- An enraged Smaug attacks nearby Lake-town, where he's slain by Bard the Bowman.
November 23, 2941
- The forces of Men, Wood-Elves and Dwarves band together to fight the Wargs and Goblins in the Battle of the Five Armies.
September 22, 3001
- Bilbo leaves the Shire and entrusts the Ring to Frodo in a "long-expected" party.
October 6, 3018
- Frodo is wounded in a Nazgul attack on the camp at Weathertop.
October 20, 3018
- Frodo escapes across the Ford of Bruinen to reach Rivendell.
October 25, 3018
- The Council of Elrond decides to send a Fellowship to destroy the One Ring.
January 15, 3019
- A Balrog casts Gandalf off the Bridge of Khazad-dum, and a bereft Fellowship reaches Nimrodel.
February 14, 3019
- Frodo gazes into the Mirror of Galadriel, and Gandalf is returned to life in a trance.
February 26, 3019
- Frodo leaves the Fellowship after Boromir attempts to take the Ring for himself. Orcs kill Boromir and capture Merry and Pippin.
February 29, 3019
- The Rohirrim attack at sunrise and destroy the Orcs, allowing Merry and Pippin to escape and meet Treebeard, an ent.
- Gollum is captured by Frodo and Sam on the outskirts of Mordor.
March 3, 3019
- Theoden retreats to Helm's Deep and makes a last stand against the forces of Saruman in the Battle of the Hornbug.
- Ents complete the destruction of Isengard.
March 4, 3019
- Gandalf arrives at Helm's Deep with reinforcements from Rohan, breaking Saruman's forces.
- Frodo reaches the slag-mounds on the edge of the Desolation of the Morannon
March 5, 3019
- Parley with Saruman in Orthanc.
- Pippin steals the Palantir.
- Gandalf sets out with Pippin for Minas Tirith.
March 13, 3019
- Frodo is captured by the Orcs of Cirith Ungol.
- The Pelennor is overrun by the hosts of Mordor.
March 14, 3019
- Sam rescues Frodo in the Tower of Cirith Ungol.
- Minas Tirith is besieged.
March 15, 3019
- The Siege of Minas Tirith and the Battle of Pelennor Fields.
- Denethor burns himself on a pyre out of despair.
- Theoden is slain by the Witch-King, who in turn is killed by Eowyn.
March 25, 3019
- The Captains of the West marshal their armies to the Black Gate.
- Gollum seizes the Ring and falls in the Cracks of Doom, destroying Barad-dur and Sauron.
May 1, 3019
- Crowning of King Elessar
November 3, 3019
- Battle of Bywater, where the hobbits wrest control of the Shire back from Saruman and his ruffians.
- Saurman is killed by Grima Wormtounge in the Shire.
- End of the War of the Ring.
September 29, 3021
- Frodo and Bilbo depart over the Sea with the Three Ringbearers of the Elvish Rings..
- The end of the Third age.
The Fourth Age of Middle-earth
March 1, 1541
- The passing of King Elessar.