With the upcoming Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens on December 18th, there has been wide speculation as to who Kylo Ren really is. Let's start with the facts that have been given away about his character over the past few months with the toy releases, books and movie trailers.
1. Kylo Ren is the protagonist of this film. Although he is not a sith lord, he still carries a red lightsaber and studies the dark teachings of the force.
2. Kylo Ren is a member of the Knights of Ren. The Knights of Ren are a group of radicals that worship the dark side of the force and took on the title of Ren as their moniker.
3. Kylo Ren idolizes Darth Vader. As seen in the trailers, Kylo Ren holds the remains of Vader's helmet and states that he would finish what Vader had started. Besides possessing Vader's helmet, he is also after the lightsaber that Luke lost against Vader in a fight with Vader on Cloud City.
4. Kylo Ren commands a garrison of First Order Stormtroopers that invade and destroy what seems to be a peaceful colony on a remote planet.
5. Kylo Ren answers to Supreme Leader Snoke. We assume that it is Snoke's voice that we hear at the beginning to the first released trailer for SWTFA. If that is the case, then we can only imagine that Kylo Ren answers to Snoke just like Vader answered to the Emperor.
6. Kylo Ren uses the force. In the trailer we see an image of Kylo Ren raising his hand as if to use force push or force pull.
We also see him using some sort of mind trick or manipulation to torture Poe in one of the trailers.
Warning: From beyond this point, there may be possible spoilers to this film. Please continue reading at your own risk.
Note: Everything I have mentioned above came from material that is already available to look at or read. From this point on, I will speculate further as to who Kylo Ren is in this film. These are my speculations and are not meant to be truthful unless proven otherwise in future trailers or books.
As we can see in one of the movie stills, Adam Driver is the actor who plays Kylo Ren in SWTFA.
Adam Driver is also listed as playing Kylo Ren from the IMDB website. So any speculation of Kylo Ren being Luke Skywalker, like I read in other articles, should be put to rest. Plain and simple, Mark Hamill is Luke Skywalker in this movie and not Kylo Ren.
My theory about Kylo Ren's part in this movie is as follows:
1. Kylo Ren is the son of Han Solo and Princess Leia. He is the brother of Rey, who will eventually be the one to either turn Kylo Ren back to the light side of the force, or will be the one to end his reign as Darth Vader's wannabe.
The reason I believe that Kylo Ren is Han's son is because of the non-cannon stories that are out there that spoke about Han and Leia having three children. Two boys and a girl.
One of his sons eventually turns to the dark side of the force, following in his grandfather's footsteps.
Although these stories no longer exist in the cannon side of Star Wars, I truly believe that the story of Han and Leia having more than one child, and one becoming evil, is true. Although Disney trashed most of the books that were written about Star Wars between the original trilogy and Episode 7, I still believe that Disney kept some of the good stories, like the Solo family's history, to build off of. I guess we'll find out for sure when the movie comes out in a few weeks.
2. I believe that in this film, we will see Kylo Ren at his worst. We will see him in his truly wild and untamed form; as a true Knight of Ren and ancestor to the greatest Sith Lord to ever hold the title of Darth Vader.
3. Kylo Ren will be on a personal mission throughout this movie trying to recover his grandfather's first lightsaber.
He will stop at nothing to gain possession of it. Even if it means hunting his own family down and killing them to get it.
4. At one point during the movie, Kylo Ren will be confronted by his father Han Solo who will sacrifice himself to save Rey and Finn from being killed by Kylo Ren. There is even a quick scene in the preview showing Rey leaning over the body of Han Solo. You can see his body in front of her with his head to the right of the photo, and his brown leather jacket to the left of the photo. You can also tell that Rey is very upset, just like a family member of hers had just been killed in front of her.
My theory is this with regards to Han Solo's death.
1. When we see Kylo Ren confront Finn in the woods on the Starkiller base, we all know that Finn will not be strong enough to defeat Kylo Ren.
2. We also know that Rey is with Finn, and can only imagine that things look very dim for the both of them.
3. Sometime during the fight with Kylo, Finn loses the lightsaber and Rey picks it up to confront Kylo Ren.
4. I believe that when Rey starts to fight Kylo Ren and loses the fight, Han Solo comes to their rescue and risks his own life to save Rey and Finn. This is when Han Solo is killed protecting his daughter from his own son, which is when we see Rey in the above scene leaning over her dead father in tears. It is then when Chewy sweeps in with the Millennium Falcon, and saves Finn and Rey from Kylo. They then battle through tie fighters, and fly off into space just as the Starkiller Base is about to be destroyed.
Note: Just as the Starkiller base is being destroyed, Kylo Ren is injured during his escape and in the last scene of the movie we will see that Kylo Ren is transformed into an almost mirror image of his grandfather. He will become more machine than man and will lose his right hand during his escape. After all, someone always loses a limb in one of these movies. Why stop now.
Kylo Ren's obsession with Luke Skywalker
Kylo Ren stated in one of the previews that he will finish what Vader started.
He knows that Luke Skywalker defeated Darth Vader and in return wants to do the same thing to Luke.
One theory out there is that Kylo Ren and the Knights of Ren attacked the Jedi Academy that Luke started after the Return of the Jedi, and killed every Jedi and Padawan that was there trying to find Luke Skywalker. That may have been part of the flashback where we see Kylo Ren and the Knights of Ren.
When Luke returned to the Academy and found the dead Jedi and Padawans, one of which may have been his own son, he went into hiding on a deserted island where a powerful sith lord's tomb is said to be hidden.
It is believed that Luke hides there for two reasons. One reason is to prevent other sith from finding the sith lord's tomb, and learning the secrets about that sith lord. Another reason is because he believes that it is the last place Kylo Ren would ever look for him.
You can see in the below photo of Luke in his jedi robes that may have been part of the photo shoot for him when he returned to the jedi academy. However, it could also be a photo of Luke for episode 8. You be the judge.
Here is the photo of Luke either inside of the sith lord's tomb with his faithful droid R2-D2, or on his way to the island at a remote campsite.
I don't believe that Kylo Ren will have any contact with Luke Skywalker in this movie. We may see more between Luke and Kylo Ren in Episode 8.
Let me know what you thoughts are on my theories.