Leading up to Star Wars: The Force Awakens, I initially planned to watch all six Star Wars Movies, however, I decided to ditch the first two prequel films and start my journey to J.J. Abrams' much anticipated movie with the most entertaining of the prequel trilogy. Now the Review!
POTENTIAL SPOILERS THROUGHOUT.
First of all, I'll get out of the way some of the things I disliked in this this movie:
- The constant reliance on CGI and Green/Blue Screen- While it is set in Space and does require such special effects, the lack of practical effects and set pieces is quite ludicrous .
- The poorly scripted dialogue- While it is not constant, poorly scripted dialogue finds it's way in to this movie, most notably between Anakin and Padme.
- Darth Sidious vs The Jedis- This is the only lightsaber battle I don't like in the whole movie. The scene is terribly choreographed and Ian McDiarmid's facial expressions are funny yet disturbing.
Now what I did like:
- The opening sequence- The high-octane, action packed first 20 minutes is very entertaining and shows Anakin's (Hayden Christensen) turn to dark side fully begin with the killing of Count Dooku (the late Christopher Lee).
- The Lightsaber battles- Despite the battle mentioned in the previous section, the lighsaber action remains amazingly choreographed and fun to watch, the end battle in particular.
- Ewan McGregor- From Episode, Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan Kenobi did remain one of the better performances throughout. McGregor showed great acting and emotion in the scene on Mustafar.
- The Score- What can I say? Its a score by John Williams.
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith remains to this day to be the best of the prequel trilogy and provides great action, a good storyline and more redeeming qualities the it's predecessors that allow it to overcome it's flaws. In spite of this, the flaws are still apparent and can be seen as holding the movie back in some instances.