I love Animal Crossing, you love Animal Crossing; we all love Animal Crossing. However, I was pretty disappointed with the spinoff title, Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer from earlier this year. Having been without a new installment in the franchise for over 2 years now, I was hoping this little 3DS game would be able to fill the gap that Animal Crossing: New Leaf no longer can. It didn't. But then, what can?
Released on November 8, 2012, New Leaf followed the slight disappointment of Animal Crossing: City Folk on the Wii. While the latter was missing some of the key elements that bring us back to this series time and time again, Animal Crossing: New Leaf on the 3DS is perfection. It's one of the best reasons to own this handheld console and it's still my go-to game for the arduous flight journey to visit my family for Christmas every year.
We Need More of Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Taking a look at what reviewers and users had to say about Animal Crossing: New Leaf - it's indicative of why we need a new game from this series to enter our lives:
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf represents not only the pinnacle of the series, but also the ingenuity of the life simulation genre.
- Its portable nature, plus all of the extra features that they’ve been adding since the first game on the GameCube make this not only the best game in the series, but also a perfect starting point for newcomers.
- The definitive version of one of the best feel-good franchises ever.
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf is a beast of a game, featuring hundreds of hours of open-ended gameplay.
- New Leaf is a truly magical game. It is the best entry in the series yet.
- I have been a long time fan of this series, and this game makes me glad to still be a fan of it.
- A wonderful game. From someone who hasn't played the other ones, this makes me want to play them. This so far is one of my favorite 3DS games.
Will the Next Animal Crossing Be On the Nintendo NX?
I think we can all do with a similar level of joy in our lives that New Leaf introduced. But we haven't heard from Nintendo in terms of a new installment. Obviously, Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer was there to keep fans of the franchise busy. It's helped some of us through the insufferable waiting period between now and the next game. But speaking of the next game, when do you think it'll be coming out, and on what console?
The Wii U is coming close to an end. Nintendo are gearing up to reveal the NX, and they're keen to leave behind a console that really hurt their reputation and sales. I'd love to see an Animal Crossing game include the Wii U gamepad, but seeing as Nintendo haven't made any announcements, perhaps the NX is what we have to wait for. Let us know what you think in the comments below!