Last night, the annual Game Awards ceremony took place in Los Angeles, California. The biggest games of 2015 - an exceptional year for the art form - were awarded for their innovation and design. But there's one category that looks beyond 2015 - Most Anticipated Game.
The nominees for this particular category were as follows: Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, Quantum Break, The Last Guardian, and [No Man's Sky](tag:2684052). Very Sony heavy, huh? Those who know about the game in question are hardly surprised by the verdict. However, some people may be shocked that a small little indie game like No Man's Sky trumped the likes of Naughty Dog's Uncharted 4. Well, here's why it won.
No Man's Sky Wins Most Anticipated Game At The Game Awards
To put things in perspective, at last year's Game Awards The Witcher 3 walked away with the Most Anticipated Game award. This year, it claimed the top prize at the Game Awards and is now, Game of the Year. We're not saying that's going to happen with No Man's Sky, but it's an extraordinary feat for such a small indie developer to achieve. Hello Games are undoubtedly proud of the attention their little game has garnered, and we couldn't be more hyped to play it.
But why does No Man's Sky deserve this award? Why has this little game become more anticipated than some of the most respected gaming franchises in the world? This is why.
- With 18 quintillion planets procedurally generated for gamers, no one alive on this planet will ever discover every one of them that Hello Games' mathematical universe has created.
- Though the game is online, the chances of us running into other players is minute. This adventure will be solely unique for everyone that engages with it.
- The developers have mentioned developing the game for virtual reality. Can you imagine what that'd be like with this almost infinite universe?
- 10% of planets in this universe will support a vibrant ecosystem. Therefore, there are tons of aliens out there to discover, but they'll be few and far between.
- An online database will allow you to discover something new and share it with everyone else online. We've no idea what to expect.
Are You Hyped For the Release of No Man's Sky?
What do you think of No Man's Sky? Do you think this game is really more anticipated than Uncharted 4? Did you get to catch The Game Awards? Let us know in the comments!