Over the last few months there has been a bit of criticism that there are to many superhero films being made and that the film industry is being over saturated with them. I wanted to chuck my hat in the ring and say that I think they could not be more wrong.
Now you are of course entitled to agree with the criticism and that there are too many, thats your opinion and its completely fine. Obviously I’m a big superhero fan or I wouldn’t be writing this would I. I'm definitley going to be biased but let me just give my reasoning as to why I feel this way and you never know, you may end up agreeing with me.
1. First and foremost people enjoy watching them and are passionate about them. This is clear when you look at the comments that float round once a new trailer is shown or we get a peek at a pic of a new version of a costume and people talk about it for weeks.
2. They create great conversations and debates between friends. There are so many times that I can remember being sat around with friends and picking apart casting choices or discussing stories and where we think the plot will go next. We weren’t arguing with each other just having great conversations.
3. It’s better than just having depressing films coming out all the time. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good drama but you have to have the lighter films to give an equal balance.
4. Now here are the important ones. They bring families closer together. You may scoff at this one but I know first hand that me and my brother have an awesome relationship because we both love superheroes and comics. I also have a friend who’s son could name Marvel characters from the age of 2 and loved finding out about them because my friend was passionate about the subject. If you haven’t already seen it try to watch the video of the little girl in the car with her dad quizzing her on comic characters (it’s amazing). My daughter is 5 and the other day we were in a toy shop and she stopped dead and smiled and started pointing at something. I looked up and she was looking at a display of Funkos that had the Avenegrs characters and also Star Wars ones. Also about a year or so ago when she was just getting into being read stories at bedtime she asked if I could read her the Marvel encyclopaedia because and I quote “I know that daddy loves them so I want to learn about them together”. I’m not gonna lie it brought a tear to my eye. If you’re still not convinced then look at couple of pictures that I found today.
5. This one is my favourite. It gives kids something to believe in. Sure they believe in Santa and the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy but they only come round once a year. Superheroes are always around. I read a story today about a kid battling cancer who was given a Hulk suit to wear while he was having chemo because he said he needed super strength to get through it. The hospital made him one and he sat still while the chemo was done. He’s now in remission which will be mostly due to the medicine but also a big part is that he believed in it.
Then there is this photo that put a big smile on my face
Is that not the coolest picture.
6. They create hundreds and hundreds of jobs. When they shoot these films they are in locations all over the world which creates loads of opportunities for people and that can only be a good thing.
7. Last but not least. Superhero films are AWESOME. When you add that to the points that I have mentioned above, why the hell would you stop making them. It makes the world a better place.
Here is an awesome picture for your enjoyment.
Do you agree or disagree. Drop me a comment if you like because God knows I love talking about them.
Thats all for now.
See you soon.