The Game Awards have decided - we have our victors for 2015, and when you take a look at that list of winners and nominees, you'll understand just how incredible this year has been for the art of Video Games. But one particular category had quite the surprising winner.
In fact, 2014 saw the same company claim a prize that was also rather unusual. Last year, Nintendo won Best Fighting Game for Super Smash Bros Wii U - undoubtedly the winner. However, this year, up against Black Ops 3, Destiny, Halo 5, Rocket League, and [Star Wars: Battlefront](tag:2684021), one little game was awarded with the Best Multiplayer Game award, along with Best Shooter of the year: Splatoon.
Can Doom Claim the Same Awards As 2015's Best Multiplayer Shooter, Splatoon?
id Software's Doom 4 has a serious legacy to live up to. After all, Doom was a game that popularized the FPS genre! It changed game history, people. The return of this franchise following a hiatus of over 10 years is incredibly exciting. We can't wait to see if Doom will exhibit the same level of quality as Wolfenstein: The New Order. But what will it need in order to compete with this year's champion? Why was Splatoon granted such amazing awards?
The following are statements from users and reviewers alike:
- Overall, Splatoon makes for an amazing online game, likely the most engaging online experience Nintendo has ever made.
- The shooter genre has been transformed. This game is the Mario Kart of Shooters.
- This game is amazing. It proves that Nintendo is the only gaming company that can bring innovation to the shooter genre.
- Splatoon needs to stand by your copy of Smash as the two most best games on the Wii U system. Truly a success and an experience worth your money.
- Splatoon is the most fun I've had playing a video game in years! I've never been a huge fan of shooters or online multiplayer games, but the set-up of Splatoon is perfect!
- This game really rocks the mechanics, has a fun, enjoyable single player campaign, and has the ability to keep me saying 'one more match... one more match...' for hours on end. I'm excited to see more as the game goes on and will be continuing to play this incredibly tight game for many months.
Can Doom 4 Succeed On its Release Date?
Seriously high praise, people! This is for a game with two different online modes as well. Naturally, when we look at Doom's gameplay, some of us are pretty worried that this FPS won't live up to the hype, or be able to offer enough innovation to keep us interested for months on end. But where do you stand? Do you think Doom can match our expectations? Are are you concerned that it'll fall flat as a multiplayer shooter? Let us know in the comments!