So... I got a chance to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens and I have to say...........It was amazing!!!! This proclamation brings the question, where does the "but" come from? One place and one place only, The canon. I have read quite a few of the star Wars novels and after watching the new movie, I feel like I have completely wasted my time. I like reading good stories but if almost 15 years of reading Star Wars novels and comics and even video games (much longer for other fans) has been rendered useless, then I'm a bit upset.
I was wondering if I missed a press release or something. Did George Lucas make a statement that I missed? Apparently I did. There are over a hundred Star Wars novels of which I read at least 20+. Therefore there are a lot of storylines that have been erased without the benefit of time travel or parallel universes.
Since the novels no longer matter, then here are the main discrepancies.
1. Chewbacca is alive. Chewbacca was killed during the Yuuzhan Vong invasion and it took a whole moon to kill him.
2. Han and Leia got married and had 3 children. Jaina, Jacen, and Anakin Solo. Of which 2 died. Anakin died defending other young Jedi from a type of Jedi bloodhound and Jacen had to die because he turned to the dark side and became a tyrant. He became very powerful and it took the combined efforts of Jaina and Luke to take him and his regime down. Unfortunately, Jaina was the only Solo kid to survive.
3. Luke married Mara Jade (someone that tried to assassinate him) and their kid (that had a turbulent birth) was named Ben. He was seduced by (dark side) Jacen for a short time because he hated being under the shadow of his father.
4 Leia was indeed a Jedi. Not as powerful as Luke because she had to split her time between diplomatic and universe-saving missions. Also, Leia was busy being a mom and a wife.
5. There were many other Jedi with fully fleshed out stories. Will we get to see some of them resurrected in some capacity. Kyle Katarn even had a game that featured him. Or Lomi Plo who was a night sister and eventually incorporated into the Killik hive.
6. Boba Fet lived and a number of the clones survived. Boba fet also became the leader of the Mandalorians.
That's all for my list. I will say that the movie was amazing!!! Having to accept an alternate canon after almost two decades of purchasing and reading a lot of novels and comics is a bit of bull s#!ttery. Nevertheless, the New sequel is loaded with drama, comedy, and intense action. Not to be understated, it has an amazing story and is very well written with a collaborative from J.J. Abrams, Lawrence Kasdan, Michael Arndt, and even George Lucas. I find it hard to believe that even the most hardened Star Wars fan will be disappointed but anything is possible.
This is my first effort in writing an article for MoviePilot and I hope I did well.