While we all expected some extreme records to be broken over this weekend, it looked like the record for highest worldwide opening weekend would stay in the hands of Jurassic World from earlier this year, however that may have just changed!
In a weekend where an incredible number of records have been broken, including:
- Best Opening Day Ever!
- Best Single Day Ever!
- Best Ever Cinema Day! (For all films that day combined!)
It seems as if Star Wars: The Force Awakens has been able to break their next big target, the all time highest grossing film for an opening weekend! Check out the statistics for the top films in this category up to this point!
1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens- $528,000,000
2. Jurassic World- $524,418,134
3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2- $483,189,427
4. Furious 7- $397,627,459
5. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince- $394,022,354
6. The Avengers- $392,538,708
7. Avengers: Age of Ultron- $392,471,109
8. Transformers: Dark of the Moon- $382,425,000
9. Spider-Man 3- $381,660,892
10. Iron Man 3- $372,553,677
So I know what you're thinking, how the hell did Spider-Man 3 get up there? But aside from that, you're also realising that Star Wars: The Force Awakens could really go all the way at this stage, and possibly become the highest grossing film of all time! It's got a way better opening weekend than either Avatar or Titanic, which are the top two highest grossing films of all time currently, and doesn't that surely give it a great opportunity to take that crown??
Well there's the interesting point. You see, Avatar is actually only the 27th highest grossing opening weekend of all time, and Titanic isn't even in the top 42! It seems like recently it's getting easier to have a higher opening weekend, but harder to sustain that long enough to get an overall gross higher than the likes of those films, and that's why Titanic has only been beaten by one film in the last 18 years! But here's the thing, a huge number of people are going to go and see this film again, I know I'll see it at least one more time, and a whole lot of people haven't seen it at all yet, but they most certainly will! Yes there's going to be a sizeable drop-off in gross next week, but I really think that we could see Star Wars: The Force Awakens take the top spot in highest grossing films. Check out the current top 10 list to see how Star Wars: The Force Awakens compares!
1. Avatar- $2,787,965,087
2. Titanic- $2,186,772,302
3. Jurassic World- $1,668,912,312
4. The Avengers- $1,519,557,910
5. Furious 7- $1,514,827,481
6. Avengers: Age of Ultron- $1,405,035,767
7. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2- $1,341,511,219
8. Frozen- $1,279,852,693
9. Iron Man 3- $1,215,439,994
10. Minions- $1,157,074,097
Check that out, Star Wars: The Force Awakens has almost already got half of what Minions got, and it's not even been out for a week yet!
Thanks for reading guys! If you want more updates on how much the beloved sequel makes, then click on the big blue follow button below!