**If you haven't seen The Force Awakens, stop reading now.. SPOILERS.**
OK, so there are a lot of fan theories out there in reference to Rey's background. I would like to throw my own out there and provide some reasoning. I would like to see what you guys think...
I am of the suspicion that Rey is Luke Skywalker's daughter. I know I know my theory mirrors the other theories out there, however if I may I would like to go in a different direction.
In the Force Awakens we see some new uses of the Force. Specifically stopping a blaster bolt in mid air, as well as utilizing the force to pull information from someones mind. We will refer to this force power as Force manipulation/Force extraction. It is no secret that Kylo Ren has been expertly trained in the ways of the force. Kylo Ren uses mind force manipulation/extraction on Po Dameron to collect information on the Luke Skywalker map as well as tries to use it on Rey.
Now if you cite the predecessors, Darth Vader didn't even have that ability. During A New Hope Darth Vader had to utilize a machine to collect intelligence from Princess Leia while she was imprisoned on the Death Star. The only utilization of mind altering powers in A New Hope were done by Obi-Wan Kenobi when he used the Jedi Mind Trick on some half witted storm troopers. This action was also repeated numerous times in the prequels by Obi-Wan Kenobi. "You do not want to sell me death sticks."
Now, if you pay attention an underlying issue within this film is manipulation of the mind. Kylo Ren is being manipulated by Snoke, Kylo Ren uses the force to manipulate/extract the information out of Po Dameron, Rey's memory comes into question when trying to remember her parents leaving her on a planet, Kylo Ren tries to utilize the Force manipulation/extraction on Rey and fails and so on. Why can't Rey remember what happened? Why does she only remember pieces? Wouldn't that key event be burned in her memory? Furthermore as you see throughout the film, she always feels she must return and wait for her parents.
Now, this is wear my fan theory takes hold. I'll break it down point by point:
- Luke is Rey's father.
- Rey was at the Jedi Temple as a youngling learning the ways of the force from her father and possibly other Jedi Knights.
- Kylo Ren betrays Luke and possibly slaughters/recruits the rest of the Jedi/Trainee's at the temple. The recruits would then comprise the Knights of Ren. (The law of 2 may not be applied since technically Kylo Ren isn't a Sith - just a user of the Dark side)
- Rey evades detection and informs Luke of the events that transpired.
- Luke feels he has failed his temple, his students, and his way of life and is sorrowful and angry. These feelings can lead to the dark side.
- Luke realizes another dread, the loss of his only daughter (via the dark side or death) would destroy him.
- Luke takes Rey to a remote planet to keep her safe.
- Luke utilizes the force to erase her mind (similar to force extraction) as well as implants a suggestion (force manipulation) that she needs to wait for his return. If he ever intends to come back is a mystery but regardless she would be safe.
- Luke goes into hiding.
- Time passes and Rey is older. That would explain why Kylo Ren wouldn't immediately recognize her.
Well that is my theory. What do you guys think? Would love to hear some feedback. Cheers, and may the force be with you..