This is a lightweight popcorn movie that lets you shut off your brain and have fun.
1. This is what I call a WYSIWYG movie - What You See Is What You Get. The trailer gave a pretty accurate idea of what to expect.
2. It's the latest in the long line of 'immortal hunter' genre movies, like Blade and Underworld. In this one, witches live hidden among us regular humans. Vin Diesel is an immortal human, haunted by his past, who hunts down renegade witches that want to end the truce with humans and start a war. Blah blah blah.
3. The movie doesn't spend much energy on making an original or smart story - it's the same thing we've seen over and over.
4. Where the movie succeeds is the visuals. It's shot well and the computer effects are pretty impressive.
5. Elijah Wood plays Vin Diesels's sidekick, a nerdy priest in New York City. I really like Elijah, but this movie was a step down for his career. I'm confused as to why he decided to make this movie.
6. The movie was directed by Breck Eisner. His last film was the pretty decent remake of The Crazies. But Eisner also directed Sahara, one of the biggest financial disasters in Hollywood history.
7. Parts of the movie look and feel like a video game.
8. This movie is aimed at super geeks and teenagers, so if you can relate to one of those groups, you'll enjoy it well enough. Besides, you can't hate a movie that has flaming swords, underground witch clubs, and gummy bear trees.
9. This is not a bad movie. But it's also not a good movie. It's not a waste of time, but it's also not one that you will remember for long.