As part of a continuing effort for utter WORLD DOMINANCE!!!! The Part Time Podcast has decided to introduce our written podcast. This means from time to time we will be writing articles with a more in depth discussion on notable topics in the world of gamin, movies, and television.
With that out of the way, let’s dive right into our first discussion: 2016, and more importantly the wealth of comic book movies slated for release. In 2016 7 comic book movies scheduled to be released, 8 if you count the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The breakdown is as follows:
- Deadpool: February 12, 2016
- Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice: March 25, 2016
- Captain America: Civil War: May 6, 2016
- X-Men: Apocalypse: May 27, 2016
- Suicide Squad: August 6, 2016
- Gambit: October 7, 2016
- Dr. Strange: November 4, 2016
If you add it all up, it is a year packed to the brim with not only comic book movies, but superhero movies specifically. This is especially the case given that it follows a year that only had 3 comic book movies: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Fantastic Four, and Ant Man.
The question beginning this year and, for studios like DC/Warner Bros. and Marvel/Disney, all the way through 2020 then becomes: how much is too much? In the upcoming podcast, we speak at length regarding this topic with varying opinions. Could this wealth of superhero movies eventually cause fans to become overwhelmed and disinterested, actually coming back to hurt the studio? For the die hard fans this obviously would not be the case. But what about the casual fan? What about the fan that cares more for a thriller, or a comedy? Certainly flooding the movie market could cause them to lose interest. Especially with the fact that from 2016 through 2020 between Marvel and DC alone there are expected to be over 30 superhero films, over saturation could become a serious concern.
Potential Studio Impact?
Even more so, if some of these scheduled movies flop at the box office it could cause studios to rethink their plan of a cinematic universe (lookin’ at you DC). While this would be much less of a problem for Marvel, given that their cinematic universe has been established and proven successful, DC could struggle if the negative reaction to Batman v Superman’s second trailer proves to be the general consensus of the film itself. With failed efforts like the Green Lantern, and the mixed reception of Man of Steel, the failure to meet company expectations for the gold standard characters like Batman and Superman, could make DC/Warner less likely to take a chance on a lesser known character like Cyborg or Aquaman. This could force a shake-up where instead of getting solo outings for characters like Cyborg or even another Green Lantern solo outing, we instead only see them in the Justice League films.
The Impact on the Viewer
Aside from the studio side of things, the larger offerings of superhero movies can be taxing on the audience. According to Variety, in the second quarter of 2015 the average price of a movie ticket was $8.61 with about 70% of that going directly to studio and the remaining 30% going to the theater. With this difference, the theater resorts to marking up concessions to make money. For example, the cost to make a large bag of popcorn is about a dollar, but it is sold for about $8.00 for a 700% mark up. This is a long way of saying going to the movies is getting expensive. So Expensive in fact that for a family to have a night at the movies they could spend anywhere between $50.00 and $100.Whle it does not have as severe an impact on the individual going to see the movie with friends, at the end of the day even the diehard comic fans are being asked to more than double their comic book budget from the previous year. Eventually, this could and probably will take a toll as people will have to pick and choose the movies they want to see in theaters as opposed to renting from Redbox and the like.
Will Comic Book Movies Die?
Will the increase in volume of comic book movies coupled with ever increasing prices to actually go the movie create the death of the superhero genre as Steven Spielberg says? Probably not, but it could certainly create problems for the unproven DCCU and the lesser known Fox/Marvel X-Men characters, especially in a post Wolverine world. Even Marvel could suffer with less people going to the movies as often due to budgetary concerns. People will still see these movies so they would never actually stop being made, the question is will the increase in volume cause lower attendance and lower profit margins? That I do believe could happen. Feel free to comment below and let us know your thoughts...
As always remember to follow us on the respective social media outlets or email us
Email: [email protected]
- Podomatic: http://theparttimepodcast.podomatic.com/