ByMark Newton, writer at Creators.co
Movie Pilot Associate Editor. Email: [email protected]
Mark Newton

When a Brazilian Star Wars fan, Yuri Luiz, started a petition to reinstate George Lucas as a director in the new Disney owned Star Wars trilogy, it was likely an act of sheer optimism on their part.

However, it seems the petition has grabbed the attention of a small, but passionate, core of Star Wars fans who share his belief that Lucas should come back to helm the last film of the currently planned trilogy, Star Wars: Episode IX. Currently, the petition stands at just shy of 20,000 signatures, and although that's unlikely enough to garner much attention from the Disney head-honchos, it has been enough to earn a response from Colin Trevorrow, the Jurassic World director who is currently signed on for Episode IX.

Speaking at the BAFTA Awards Season Tea Party on Saturday, Trevorrow told ET Online that he was aware of the petition, but he seemed to bear no ill-will towards it. Instead, he claimed he hoped to capture the brazen and outgoing storytelling that typified Lucas's original creation in his own Star Wars movie. He stated:

"It's funny, I saw that, and it was on a day where I was at Lucasfilm giving this big speech to everyone about how we want to channel the invention and just the raw creativity and the boldness that George brought to these films and not being afraid that we're going to embarrass ourselves by doing something that might be crazy. When George Lucas made Star Wars, a lot of people thought it was crazy.
When you try to pitch what that movie's about -- if you've never heard of Star Wars before, you say, ‘Here's a character. His father's part robot, but he can also do magic. And there's a guy who can fly in a spaceship. He's got a dog for a friend!' -- it sounds insane. But it's the greatest story ever told. I just want to embrace that kind of invention and creativity that he brought to it."

Why Do People Want Lucas To Return?

As previously reported, the petition has acted as a rallying point for Star Wars fans who were disappointed with J.J. Abrams's Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens. One of the complaints most frequently leveled at the highly lucrative film was that it was simply a cynical rehash of A New Hope, and was designed more to appeal to fan nostalgia than to meaningfully progress the Star Wars saga's story.

Of course, critics of this petition have hit back and reminded fans of Lucas's directorial efforts in the Star Wars prequel trilogy, a series of films which are now famous for their apparent awfulness. Although, as the video below suggests, it seems the people were more enthusiastic about them in 1999.

Check out the initial reactions to the Phantom Menace below:

In any case, this petition is unlikely to result in any tangible change — other than perhaps making Lucas feel slightly smug. Although Lucas had originally been offered a creative consultancy role in the Disney-owned franchise, it seems the House of Mouse were adamant about going down a different route than the original creator. Lucas has stated Disney preferred to make a 'retro' film, telling Charlie Rose:

"I don't like that. Every movie I work very hard to make them completely different, with different planets, with different spaceships, make it new."

While he also added:

"They looked at the stories, and they said, 'We want to make something for the fans.' They decided they didn't want to use those stories, they decided they were going to do their own thing. They weren't that keen to have me involved anyway."

Furthermore, Lucas has also made it clear he wishes to distance himself from the blockbuster industry he arguably helped to create. Instead, he has recently concentrated on smaller, indie affairs, such as 2013's Red Tails.

Poll

Would you like to see George Lucas return to the Star Wars franchise?

Source: ETOnline

Trending

Latest from our Creators