Samurai swords, dual-wielding uzis, dismembering limbs, demonic beasts, and a dollop of clichéd Japanese culture. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Shadow Warrior, a game in which you assume the role of modern ninja warrior of Lo Wang and take on the forces of the underworld.
The original Shadow Warrior was released for the MS-DOS and Mac OS in 1997. But in September of 2013, it was brought back to life in the form of a reboot thanks to the independent Polish development studio, Flying Wild Hog. A little over a year later it was brought to the XBOX OneXBOX One and PS4, and we recommend you check it out!
Shadow Warrior 2 - One Of The Best Co-op Games Of 2016?
Shadow Warrior 2 was then announced in June of 2015 and later revealed to have a 2016 release date attached to its name. The game will be released worldwide for PC, Xbox One, and PS4, but this sequel has a beautiful new feature to introduce into the series: multiplayer.
Shadow Warrior 2 will allow up to 4 players to play through the story together. In the campaign, each player experiences the narrative as Lo Wang but sees other players as different anonymous ninjas. Together we should be able to reek tons of havoc upon the demonic forces at large. Sadly there's no confirmed date for this sequel, but we're hopeful for a Summer release date.
Here are some of the various features that this game promises:
- The level environments are far more open and non-linear than its predecessor, offering players various ways to navigate the spaces they find themselves in.
- New traversal mechanics have been included which allow players to double jump and climb walls.
- You can also re-visit earlier missions at any time in order to further level up your gear or nail that perfect score.
- Every mission, except for story-specific events, will feature procedurally generated level design and content, including randomized enemy positions, terrain, buildings, and weather conditions.
- There's also a procedural damage system that allows us to cut or blow off enemy limbs and body parts.
- Shadow Warrior 2 features over 70 different weapons, varying between firearms and blades.
2016: Co-op Games We Can't Wait To Try
Apart from Shadow Warrior 2, there are other co-op titles on the horizon that have peaked our interest. Let us know if you're looking forward to trying them out too:
- Overkill's The Walking Dead - A first-person shooter set within The Walking Dead universe that features co-op?! Sign me up!
- Battleborn - From the creators of Borderlands, Battleborn has been labelled as a "Hero Shooter" and will include mechanics from MOBAs. This should be interesting.
- Cuphead - This Xbox One exclusive draws from the work of animators of the 1930s. This side scrolling action/adventure is superbly hard, but looks like one of the best indie games of 2016.
- Gears of War 4 - The Coalition are making the first Gears of War title for the Xbox One and we can't wait to see how co-op is incorporated into its campaign.
- Scalebound - The latest game from Platinum Games will pitch players against monsters as they control their own dragons. This will actually feature co-op. Holy shit.
Check out the announcement trailer: