DC Original Animated Films
DC's animated films are one of those things that I just look forward to every year. I love how the animation is - usually - congruent with the previous films existing in the same continuity and I've grown to love the voice actors that came in as replacements for the Justice League when DC and Warner Bros. released Justice League: War a few years back. These past few years though, we've been getting a whole lot of Batman with the following animated films dominating the majority of releases:
- Son of Batman
- Batman: Assault on Arkham (this is in continuity with the Arkham games from Rocksteady and not other animated features).
- Batman vs Robin
...and there's more Batman still to come with films such as:
- Batman: Bad Blood
- Batman: The Killing Joke (this will not maintain continuity with the other animated films)
Anything that's not been Batman-centered has just been focused on the Justice League (in which, Batman still gets a majority of the screen-time). So far, we've only gotten two of those films in this specific universe:
- Justice League: War
- Justice League: Throne of Atlantis
Now, TV Insider have given us are first look at Justice League vs Teen Titans!
Now, even though the Justice League is featured heavily in this story (obviously their name is in the title and it comes first) but this film is looking to put focus on more of DC's famed superheroes such as the Teen Titans.
TV Insider reports that the story sends Robin to work with the Titans after his volatile behavior botches a Justice League mission. The young team then must really step up to face Trigon after he possesses the League and threatens to conquer the world.
As you could expect, the original voice actors who started working on the more recently released DC Original Animated Films will be returning to reprise their roles. This will consist of the following veteran voice-actors:
- Shemar Moore (Criminal Minds) as Cyborg
- Sean Maher (Serenity) as Nightwing
- Stuart Allan (Rise of the Guardians) as Robin
- Jason O’Mara (Resident Evil: Extinction) as Batman
- Jerry O’Connell (Stand by Me) as Superman
- Rosario Dawson (Daredevil) as Wonder Woman
- Christopher Gorham (Covert Affairs) as the Flash
The new-comers will consist of the following:
- Jon Bernthal (The Walking Dead) as Trigon
- Taissa Farmiga (American Horror Story) as Raven
- Jake T. Austin (The Fosters) as Blue Beetle
- Brandon Soo Hoo (From Dusk Til Dawn: The Series) as Beast Boy
- Kari Wahlgren (Phineas and Ferb) as Starfire
There's a lot to be excited about for me regarding this in that the focus is beginning to shift from Batman + Justice League and more on non-Justice League members. I am hoping that this is a set up to not only more Justice League and Batman movies in the future, but also more Teen Titans inspired stories and hopefully even less recognized/appreciated characters.