Here are my 25 most anticipated films of 2016 that I recommend everyone keep an eye out for if you aren’t already.
1. Batman vs. Superman Dawn of Justice
2. X-Men Apocalypse
3. Passengers: What can I say Passengers has my one of my two favorite actresses in it with Jennifer Lawrence along with Laurence Fishburne, Chris Pratt and Michael Sheen, and is being directed by Morten Tyldum who brought us the Headhunters and the The Imitation Game. Plus it’s a sci-fi film, so I’m definitely down for Passengers.
4. Story of Your Life: I’m not sure if the film will end up being released in 2016, but if it does the sci-fi film Story of Your Life will definitely be at the top of this list with it being directed by Denis Villeneuve the man who directed my favorite film of 2015 in Sicario, and has a good cast in Amy Adams, Tzi Ma, Jeremy Renner, and Forest Whitaker
5. Triple 9
6. The Great Wall
7. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
8. Jason Bourne Sequel (No Title Yet)
9. Gambit: I’m not sure if the film will be released in 2016 as there were rumors that Fox was going to push it back to early 2017. Remy Lebeau is one of my favorite comic characters, and I’m really hoping the films good, and that Fox doesn’t screw this up.
11. The Accountant: Starring Ben Affleck, Anna Kendrick, J.K. Simmons, Jon Bernthal
12. The 5th Wave
Yes another film adaptation of a Young Adult Novel series by Rick Yancey, but like Suzanne Collins Hunger Game series I loved the very dark The 5th Wave and the second book The Infinite Sea.
13. Jane Got A Gun
14. Doctor Strange: Marvel Studios film about the titled character starring Benedict Cumberbatch, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Rachel McAdams, Michael Stuhlbarg, Mads Mikkelsen, and Tilda Swinton
15. Hail, Caesar!: A dramadey period film directed by the Coen Brothers and staring Scarlett Johansson, George Clooney, Josh Brolin, and Jonah Hill.
16. John Wick 2: The Sequel to great 2014 action film starring Keanu Reeves.
17. Suicide Squad
18. Silence: Another film that might not be released in 2016. Silence is the next Martin Scorsese film about the persecution of priests in Japan during in the 1600′s, and starring Liam Neeson, Tadanobu Asano, Adam Driver, and Andrew Garfield.
19. Captain America Civil War: I’m just not feeling it for Civil War. I think it partly has to do with Marvel Studio’s brand of film that has been wearing on me a little, and even though Fox and WB are copying the blueprint that Disney and Marvel created I like the direction Fox and WB are going more than Marvel right now. Plus I wasn’t impressed by the first trailer at all. I hope Marvel makes some big changes in Civil War like killing of one off either Iron Man or Captain America and continuing with the Bruce/Natasha relationship even though Bruce isn’t in the film. I’m more confident in the latter of the two.
20. Star Trey Beyond: The more I re-watch 2009’s Star Trek and it’s sequel Into the Darkness the less I am impressed with the films especially Into the Darkness, and I haven’t like the direction Star Trek Beyond has been going since J.J. Abrams left to direct Star Wars. I’m not really a fan of director Justin Lin who has found his place as a quality pure action director who’s helped revitalize the Fast and Furious series, but he’s isn’t the right director to direct a Star Trek film, and I was proven right as the trailer didn’t look anything like a Star Trek film.
21. Demolition: A drama directed by Jean-Marc Vallée, and starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Naomi Watts, and Chris Cooper.
22. Jack Reacher Never Go Back: The film is the sequel to the 2012 film Jack Reacher that is directed by Edward M. Zwick, and is starring Tom Cruise and Cobie Smulders.
23. The Nice Guys
24. Legend of Tarzan
25. Independence Day Resurgence: Sequel to the 1996 blockbuster action sci-fi film starring Jeff Goldblum, Bill Pullman, Judd Hirsch, Vivica A. Fox, Liam Hemsworth, Sela Ward, and William Fichtner.
I’m sure some other films will catch my attention in the up coming year, but these are the films I am most excited for. There are some films I also care basically nothing about like Ghostbusters 3, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2, 13 Hours:The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi. Snowden, Assassin’s Creed, Warcraft, and The Huntsman Winter’s War.