Unfortunately, I really liked this movie.
1. Let me say right off the top, this movie will be hated by critics and will probably make many "Worst of 2016" lists at the end of the year. And if you hate this movie too, I honestly don't blame you. I understand.
2. I usually don't really like movies like this. I honestly only went to see it because I was interested in seeing what kind of a pair Zac Efron and Robert De Niro would make together. Surprisingly, the movie works.
3. Robert De Niro plays Richard, an old man whose wife just died. As an attempt at bonding with his uptight lawyer grandson Jason (Zac Efron), he coerces Jason into driving him to Florida. But Richard immediately turns into a lecherous, foul-mouthed weirdo that Jason just can't handle.
4. For better or worse, this is De Niro's movie. Many people will be horrified that a Hollywood legend like De Niro would portray a character like this. I suspect that this is what's behind a lot of the critics' hatred for this movie - it's "beneath" De Niro, even demeaning. I mean, his name equals Taxi Driver, The Deer Hunter, and Raging Bull, for God's sake. Not a raging pervert that does a Number 3 on screen.
But If De Niro was aware that people would disapprove, he sure doesn't show it. He plays Richard with insensitive glee, giving it his all. And honestly, he has to be a great actor to pull this role off.
5. Zac Efron holds his own well against De Niro. But just as important, he's a really good sport - he gets made fun of a lot for his good looks in this movie. Many characters think he's a lesbian.
6. The movie was directed by Dan Mazer, who usually works with Sascha Baron Cohen, from Borat and Bruno fame. That should give you a better idea of the type of humor you're getting.
7. Like all movies of this type, not every joke works. But plenty of them do. There were a few scenes where I was laughing so hard I gasped for air. I think the movie knew that it was riding a fine line between being funny and just being offensive, so it jumped in with both feet. It went farther than I thought it would.
8. The biggest problem with the movie is that there's an unnecessary romantic subplot that brings the laughs to a screeching halt sometimes. It's like when you're driving and you hit those speed-bumps in the road that are much higher than they need to be.
9. If you like family comedies, or if you think Hollywood legends should hold themselves to a certain standard of decorum, or if you just hate the word "fuck", then you should not see this movie. But if you want a random, filthy, immature movie that you laugh at even though you know you shouldn't, then this is what you've been waiting for.
WARNING: THIS TRAILER IS VERY NSFW.
What did you think? Was it funny, or already one of the worst films of the year? Let us know below!