Every decade seems to have a certain horror theme, a pattern that links movies together based on the time period when they were released. It's hard to place them into a sub category within the horror genre, but the similarities are hard to ignore. Take a look at some of the connections I found below.
- The Exorcist (1973) - A young girl is possessed by the devil, and must undergo an exorcism.
- The Omen (1976) - An adopted child, who is really the antichrist, brings death upon his new family.
- Carrie (1976) - A mistreated teenage girl with telekinetic powers unleashes violence on her tormentors.
- Jaws (1975) - A great white shark begins to terrorize locals.
- Alien (1979) - A spacecraft is attacked after answering a distress call from an alien ship.
Rise of the slashers
- Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - Teenagers begin to die at the hands (or knives) of the severely disfigured Freddy Krueger while they are asleep.
- Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981) - Jason Voorhees terrorizes camp Crystal Lake teenagers to avenge his mother.
- Halloween II (1981) - Michael Meyers continues to hunt Laurie Strode, killing everyone in his way.
- Prom Night (1980) - A killer seeks revenge against the teens who caused the death of a fellow student.
Teen revenge horror
- Scream (1996) - A small town is menaced by a masked killer who wants payback.
- I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997) - After covering up a hit and run, four friends are stalked by someone claiming to know the truth.
- Urban Legend (1998) - A vengeful killer uses popular urban legends as a method of killing residents of a college campus.
Suspenseful horror with killer twists
- The Sixth Sense (1999) - A psychologist is tasked with helping a boy who can see ghosts.
- Stir of Echoes (1999) - A man begins to experience visions of a girl, leading him on a dangerous path for answers.
Disturbing movies featuring torture
- Saw (2004) - A deranged killer with a God complex, puts people in an impossible situation to force them to choose a better path.
- The Strangers (2008) - Masked intruders prey on a couple in an isolated home, intent on killing them.
- Wolf Creek (2005) - A group of stranded travelers are held captive and tortured by a misleading local.
- Hostel (2005) - Tourists are unwillingly sold to vicious murderers to be tortured to death.
- The Ring (2002) - A video featuring disturbing images leads to the viewers' death one week later.
- The Grudge (2004) - A young woman discovers her new home is the site of a supernatural curse.
- Shutter (2008) - Following an accident, a couple notices mysterious images in their photographs.
Demonic presence slowly increasing to possession
- Insidious (2010) - A father must stop malevolent spirits from holding his son in a spirit realm.
- The Conjuring (2013) - After moving into an old farmhouse, a family discovers they are sharing their home with a dark presence.
- The Babadook (2014) - A woman finds a horrifying book while dealing with her difficult child, which opens up the door for the man within the book to enter her home.
- Oculus (2013) - Siblings begin to realize that an ancient mirror is the reason for their parents' death, and they are next.
- Crimson Peak (2015) - A new bride is plagued by ghosts trying to warn her of the dangers within her home
- The Woman in Black (2012) - A town is cursed by an unforgiving ghost who appears prior to unexpected deaths.