ByMichelle Siouty, writer at

What sounds worse than any horror film is this real life story called the Dyatlov Pass Incident. On February 2, 1959, fifty-six years ago, this mysterious terror occurred and there are still so many unanswered questions swirling around investigators' minds.

Nine experienced ski hikers who attended the Ural Polytechnical Institue, set up camp on the slopes of Kholat Syakhl in Russia for the night. The group was led by a man named Igor Dyatlov, which the pass was later named after following that dreadful night.

Igor Dyatlov
Igor Dyatlov

Due to impeding worsening of weather conditions, the group decided to set up camp as they had lost their direction and had moved further up west than intended.

No messages had been received for eighteen days before families of the skiers demanded a rescue operation. The searchers didn't find the group until February 26th, and that's when they found a truly alarming situation.

Igor's body
Igor's body

Investigators found that the skiers had torn their tents from the inside out. They looked as if they were trying to escape a great danger.

Some of the skiers were found to be barefoot covered in immense snowfall. Many of the bodies showed signs of a fight, as Dyatlov's right fist had injuries and two other victims had fractured skulls and broken ribs.

The most chilling bit? One woman's tongue was missing.

At first, investigators thought that the Mansi people, an indigenous tribe, might have attacked and killed the group for being on their land, but they found no other footprints but the hikers' and the force of the injuries couldn't have possibly been done by another human.

Some strange details include: the members of the group were wrapped in torn snippets of each others' clothing, their clothes were found with high levels of radioactive contamination, the group had died six to eight hours after their last meal, and not a single member survived the mysterious incident.

Below are chill-worthy images that are said to be the bodies found on the slopes of Dyatlov Pass.

Another group of hikers reported that they found odd orange spheres in the sky just north of where the bodies were found. Apparently, similar sights were continuatlly observed in Ivdel and close areas from February to March 1959 during the time and after this incident.

A former police officer Lev Ivanov who led the inquest in 1959 stepped forward in 1990 and explained that when the flying spheres had come into the picture, he had received direct orders from high-ranking regional officials to dismiss the inquest.

Possible explanations? An avalanche, a Yeti, military testings, possibly aliens?

We will never really know what happened to this unfortunate group of

[Source: Imgur, Spiked]


Latest from our Creators