Before his role as "Eggsy" in 2014's Kingsman: The Secret Service, Taron Egerton was relatively unknown to moviegoers. Having only acted since 2011, his roles consisted of short films and a few tv shows. Due to Kingsman's popularity and success, there is no surprise Egerton has been on many people's radar. The young Welsh actor has been praised for his work with various nominations spanning just the few roles on his resume. Some in Hollywood may not consider a 26 year old young, but it is safe to say Taron Egerton is on the rise and here are three reason's why:
1. Previous Movie Roles
Taron Egerton's first few movie roles involved him working with some pretty heavy hitters but he certainly held his own. There is no doubt he is capable of carrying a movie in a main role, I believe Kingsman sufficiently proved that to be true. Take a look at his current body of work in films!
- Testament of Youth - A 2014 British drama film based in WWI about a woman who leaves college to become a war nurse. Egerton plays the woman's brother Edward Brittain and received high praise for the role, even earning a Best British Newcomer nomination for the London Film Festival. The film also stars Alicia Vikander, Kit Harrington, and Hayley Atwell.
- Kingsman: The Secret Service - Probably Egerton's most notable film to date, Kingsman follows the story of "Eggsy" and his recruitment into a secret British spy organization. His secret agent mentor is played by Colin Firth while the movie also stars Samuel L. Jackson.
- Legend - A thriller inspired by the true story of the Kray twins who raised havoc in London during the 1950s and 1960s. Egerton plays the role of Edward "Mad Teddy" Smith alongside Tom Hardy, who plays the twins.
- Eddie the Eagle - Premiering this month, the film takes on the underdog story of Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards, Great Britian's first Olympic ski jumper. Egerton plays the role as Eddie alongside Hugh Jackman and Christopher Walken.
2. Upcoming Movie Roles
- Sing - An animated musical comedy and Egerton plays a rapping gorilla!
- Billionaire Boys Club - With a 2016 release, the film follows a true story about a group of rich kids who create a Ponzi scheme during the 1980s in LA. The film also stars Ansel Elgort, Kevin Spacey, Emma Roberts, Billie Lourd, and Cary Elwes.
- Kingsman: The Secret Service 2 - Not much is known about the 2017 sequel but Egerton has provided a hint claiming the new movie is going "international."
- Robin Hood: Origins - Slated for a 2017 release, Egerton will take on an adaptation as the legendary outlaw.
There is no doubt this particular list will continue to grow. Taron's name seems to be popping up everywhere and has been linked to many casting rumors. Most notable rumors has been on wish lists for him to play young Han Solo in the upcoming Star Wars flick!
3. His History
Born in England but grew up in Wales, Egerton recently shared an interesting fact about his hometown in an episode of Ellen.
Just in case you missed that, he is from a town called Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch before moving to Aberystwyth, Wales when he was twelve. Along with that interesting fun fact, Egerton has been nominated for various awards for his roles in Testament of Youth and Kingsman. Most recently he has been nominated for the BAFTA Rising Star Award alongside big names like Brie Larson and John Boyega for their breakout roles. Let's not forget he also has an impressive taste in style, being named one of GQ's 50 Best Dressed British Men of 2015. Taron Egerton may not be a household name yet but I have a strong feeling it will be in the near future.
Are you a Taron Egerton fan? If so, which movie is your favorite or which of his upcoming films are you most excited for? Comment below!