Johnny Depp is arguably one of the greatest actors around today. From the numerous Tim Burton films to Disney pirates, to singing and slaying, Depp has basically done it all. So, who and what has he been? Cast in over 50 films, here are the many faces of Johnny Depp from 1984 to 2016.
1. Glen Lantz - 'Nightmare on Elm Street' (1984)
Depp's first rising role was in 1984 starring in Nightmare on Elm Street as Glen Lantz. Only a guy like Freddy would kill this beautiful creature. God bless him.
2. Jack - 'Private Resort' (1985)
Just a year later, he was making knees weak again starring in the 1985 film, Private Resort as Jack, a teenage boy hanging out with his buddy on the prowl for women at a Florida resort.
3. Officer Tom Hanson - '21 Jump Street' (1987)
Johnny Depp as Tom Hanson then:
Be sure to watch for him as he later reprises his role.
4. Edward - 'Edward Scissorhands' (1990)
Now we are getting creative. Johnny Depp starred in Tim Burton's Edward Scissorhands, and he is totally unrecognizable. This is an iconic role about a science experiment-made man who has scissor blades for hands, and his unfortunate ostracization in society, despite his overwhelming kindness and artistic abilities.
5. Wade "Cry-baby" Walker - 'Cry-Baby' (1990)
Don't worry though, he is still a major heartthrob as Wade "Cry-baby" Walker in the 1990 film, Cry-Baby.
6. Gilbert Grape - 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape' (1993)
What can't this guy pull off? Depp stars as Gilbert Grape alongside another major icon today making his big debut, Leonardo DiCaprio.
7. Axel Blackmar - 'Arizona Dream' (1993)
Does anyone else think Johnny as Axel Blackmar looks a little bit like Nat Wolff? No? Okay... keep going.
8. Ed Wood - 'Ed Wood' (1994)
Here is Ed Wood in Ed Wood, who now reminds me of Gomez Addams. Or maybe Gomez's sister?
9. Gene Watson - 'Nick of Time' (1995)
Who knew he could pull off glasses? Oh wait, everyone did. Everyone knows this man can do anything.
10. Don Juan - 'Don Juan DeMarco' (1995)
We are very happy you decided to become Don Juan, Johnny Depp.
11. William "Bill" Blake - 'Dead Man' (1995)
Here is Johnny Depp as William "Bill Blake in Dead Man. He is also sporting one of the older makeup designs for the band members of Kiss.
12. Donnie Brasco - 'Donnie Brasco' (1997)
Is he Donnie Brasco, or is this the model for a Stepford Wife's perfect husband? Who knows.
13. Raoul Duke - 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' (1998)
I don't know about you, but I could hardly recognize Johnny in this film. This really is him, though, as Raoul from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
14. Constable Ichabod Crane - 'Sleepy Hollow' (1999)
One of my all time favorites, here is Depp as Ichabod Crane in Sleepy Hollow, in which Depp starred with Christina Ricci. Their first movie together was actually Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
15. Dean Corso - 'The Ninth Gate' (1999)
Johnny Depp looks like he could be the next Sherlock Holmes in this next one, playing Dean Corso in The Ninth Gate.
16. Bon Bon/Lieutenant Victor - 'Before Night Falls' (2000)
Johnny Depp does play Lieutenant Victor in the 2000's Before Night Falls, but he also plays another special character in this film. Let me introduce you to Bon Bon.
17. Roux - 'Chocolat' (2000)
You will always be our favorite, especially as Roux the gypsy in Chocolat.
18. George Jung - 'Blow' (2001)
Blondes do it better and Johnny Depp knows that as he plays George Jung in the 2001 film, Blow.
19. Captain Jack Sparrow - 'Pirates of the Caribbean' (2003-2016)
This is another all time favorite for many. Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean will officially have five movies in 2017, and Johnny Depp has made a beloved character come back in all of them. Johnny Depp is Captain Jack Sparrow.
20. Rochester - 'The Libertine' (2004)
Does anyone who doesn't love Johnny Depp also fall into these two categories? Depp takes on 17th century England, and boy does he do it well.
21. Willy Wonka - 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' (2005)
Johnny Depp also starred as one of the most beloved characters of our childhoods and our tastebuds, Willy Wonka.
22. Victor Van Dort - 'Corpse Bride' (2005)
In his first animated film, Johnny Depp voiced the character Victor Van Dort in Tim Burton's Corpse Bride.
23. Sweeney Todd - 'Sweeney Todd' (2007)
In my favorite twisted take on a musical, Johnny Depp stars as Sweeney Todd, singing beautifully and killing quickly with pale skin, a white streak in his hair, and blood stains.
24. Mad Hatter - 'Alice in Wonderland' (2010)
In Tim Burton's rendition of the classic tale, Depp takes on the Mad Hatter, and looks very... well, mad, sporting red/orange hair, crazy colored eyes, and even crazier attire.
25. Frank Taylor - 'The Tourist' (2010)
In his first film with Angelina Jolie, Depp plays Frank Taylor, a math teacher with undoubtedly good looks, alongside his beautiful co-star.
26. Rango - 'Rango' (2011)
Since Johnny Depp only had 20, that's right, 20, days to voice Rango, a chameleon with an identity problem, he tried to get into character as much as possible and interacted with the other characters.
27. Undercover DEA Agent Tom Hanson - '21 Jump Street' (2012)
In his cameo role for the newest 21 Jump Street film, Johnny Depp plays the same character he did in the original, yet only makes a small appearance in the ending scenes of the film.
28. Barnabas Collins - 'Dark Shadows' (2012)
In this 2012 film based on the 1960s soap opera Dark Shadows, Johnny Depp plays the infamous Barnabas Collins, who sports dead, white skin, dark sunken eyes, and older period clothing.
29. Tonto - 'The Lone Ranger' (2013)
We can't decide if Tonto is stupid or pretending to be stupid. Tricky. Johnny Depp plays an ancient Native American, who just happens to be found in a sideshow of a carnival tent.
20. The Wolf - 'Into the Woods' (2014)
In yet another musical, Johnny Depp plays alongside some other very famous characters as The Wolf from Little Red Riding Hood.
31. Charles Mortdecai - 'Mortdecai' (2015)
In one of his most recent films, Depp plays a man named Charles Mortdecai, a charismatic British aristocrat and part-time shady art dealer.
There is no doubt he is one of the most talented men of our time, and he continues to keep doing amazing performances. He is scheduled to debut in five new movies in the coming years, that we know of! Take the poll and let us know in the comments below which face of Johnny's was your favorite!