The day has finally come. The embargo for Street Fighter V has been lifted and reviews are pouring out from around the globe. So what's the consensus? Are people happy with how Street Fighter has evolved, especially after how Street Fighter IV is considered to be one of the best fighting games of all time?
We've already had a fighting game masterwork in 2016 with the release of [Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4](tag:3755113). Can Street Fighter 5 rise to the challenge on PS4 and PC? Will the sound of "HADOUKEN!" herald the return of the master? Let's see what the consensus is on Capcom's latest release!
Reviews Abound: 'Street Fighter 5' Review Roundup
For your information, Street Fighter V will receive its release for Playstation 4 consoles and PC on February 16 in the EU and North America, but on February 18 in Japan.
- Push Square - "Street Fighter V's gameplay sits with the best that gaming has to offer. The characters are truly distinct, the presentation first rate, and the netcode is utterly sublime." 9/10
- IGN - "Strictly in terms of mechanics and competitive features, Street Fighter 5 is just about peerless, but it has quite a ways to go before it stacks up against other fighting games - including its own predecessor - in terms of overall content." 8/10
COGconnected - "If you are a Street Fighter fan, and are looking forward to seriously competing in this console generation’s great fighting game franchise, then your time has arrived." 9.5/10
- We Got This Covered - "Street Fighter V is easily the fighting title I’ve had the most fun playing in my 20 years of gaming. That’s also why the overall package is such a disappointment. Instead of getting a feature complete, content filled package, we’re instead left with a bare bones offering that doesn’t even have the basics of the genre." 5/10
God Is A Geek - "It’s hard to find fault with the bigger picture Capcom has in mind here and, assuming the online issues are dealt with quickly at launch and the rest of the game modes arrive as promised, this is looking like a perfect round." 9/10
GamesRadar+ - "Street Fighter 5 is deep, endlessly fun, and immensely inviting, but local competitive play is currently the primary way to enjoy it." 9/10
- Game Revolution - "The combat system stands as the game's strongest and most important pillar, which masks some of the minor imperfections with the graphical clipping and online performance." 8/10
- Shack News - "Street Fighter V feels like it could be an incredible fighting game in the summer, filled with robust content and numerous game modes for both single-player and online multiplayer. But Street Fighter V isn't coming out this summer. It's coming out in February." 7/10
TrustedReviews - "Street Fighter 5 gives us the core of a magnificent fighting game – one fans of Street Fighter and the beat-em-up genre will rightly adore. It has a superb set of characters, improved mechanics and the bones of a great online service, while the visuals and presentation take the Street Fighter 4 style on to the next level. However this is just the core, not the complete package, leaving gaps that some players might end up falling in-between." 7/10
VG24/7 - "Ryu’s Street Fighter II ending, to me one of the most iconic gaming moments ever, declares that “The Fight is Everything.” If that’s true for you, Street Fighter 5 nails it. It’s one of the best ever. If you want a little more around your fighting, it might leave you wanting – at least for a few months."
It seems the general consensus here is that Capcom has crafted a wondrous fighter, but they've released it far too soon.
Server issues are noted and the lack of singleplayer content is currently damaging. Maybe this summer, Street Fighter V will become the fighting game of our dreams.