J'onn J'onzz (John Jones), a.k.a. The Martian Manhunter, is probably one of the most underestimated superheroes of all time. While many people just think of him as a green alien from Mars, who can fly and has a decent level of strength, the truth is that he is one of the most powerful heroes in the DC Universe, among the ranks of Superman and other godlike beings like The Spectre.
In this article, I'll explain why this is the case, and why the Martian Manhunter is widely considered to be such a powerful being. First up:
The Martian Manhunter has a HUGE variety of powers. He is often described as a fusion of Batman and Superman, as he consists of abilities both of them possess, while having his own unique powers as well. Some of his abilities include:
- Super Strength: Though not as powerful in raw strength as Superman, J'onn J'onzz still has an extreme amount of strength, and can usually go toe-to-toe with Supes, and beings like the White Martians.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: The Martian Manhunter has an extremely potent healing factor, which allows him to regenerate whole parts of his body!
- Martian Vision: His "Martian Vision" allows him to see across the electromagnetic spectrum, as well as provides him with X-Ray vision. It also allows him to send out intense blasts of energy from his eyes, similar to Superman's heat vision.
- Genius Level Intellect: J'onn J'onzz is a capable detective, with skills rivalling those of Batman. He often operates under the name "John Jones".
- Shape-Shifting: He can control every single molecule in his body, and can therefore transform into anything or anyone he wants.
- Intangibility: The ability to phase through objects
- Invisibility: The ability to not be visible
- Flight: He has the competence to fly almost as fast as Superman.
- Telekinesis: He is able to move objects without physical interaction, by simply willing them to move.
- Telepathy: The ability to influence thoughts, communicate, manipulate/control minds, as well as read minds. The Martian Manhunter is amongst the most powerful telepaths in the DC Universe.
If you're still not convinced of his level of badassery, here are some of his achievements and feats:
Superman Is Afraid Of him
Yes, Superman, widely considered to be the strongest superhero, is afraid of facing him in a fight, and thinks that The Martian Manhunter is the most powerful being on Earth. That's saying something.
He Connected And Read Everyone's Minds On Earth SIMULTANEOUSLY
And you know what's even more amazing? This wasn't a one shot thing - he's done it several times. And you thought holding a conversation with 6 people over a dinner table was confusing!
He Has Entered The Mind Of The Spectre (And Everyone On The Planet) While Searching For Black Adam
The Spectre is the living embodiment of vengeance, and he is omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient. J'onn effortlessly enters his mind (those who have tried to do so previously failed miserably), as well as the minds of everyone on the planet, only to search for someone.
He Temporarily Cured The Joker's Insanity
He Regenerated His Entire Body From A Single Arm
And Then There Was That Little Matter When He Took On The Entire Justice League
Something he has done multiple times as well. Which, considering the fact that Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Flash have godlike powers, is not an easy feat to accomplish. Only the very best are able to hold out against the entire Justice League on their own, and this certainly puts The Martian Manhunter in this category.
But what about his weaknesses? Well...
J'onn J'onzz Doesn't Exactly Have A Weakness (Anymore)
He did have a fear of fire back in the day, however, in recent years, it has come to light that it was more of a psychological fear, which was instilled genetically amongst all Martians by the Guardians of the Universe. It made the primary weapon of a Martian redundant – their mind.
Despite that, J'onn was able to overcome this fear for the most part, and is not affected by fire anymore (except for certain extreme cases).
Well, hopefully this article made you appreciate the Martian Manhunter more, if you didn't know much about him.
Let me know your thoughts in the comments section below! If you enjoyed reading, make sure to check out my other works, and please hit the follow button for more content (it will be appreciated)!
Which character's "True Power" should I evaluate next?
[Source: Comic Vine]