Following the peculiar series of events at Bungie and Activision, which saw the internal release date for Destiny 2 delayed and Bungie's CEO depart the company, fans were wondering how the future of the franchise would be affected. Eventually, Activision made a statement in mid February which revealed that Destiny 2 was due to be released in 2016 (probably in September) but had been delayed till some time in 2017.
In its place, Activision will be releasing a new expansion for Bungie's hit online shooter. We know very little about this expansion, but fans of Destiny have countless requests for how the game should develop and what new features should accompany what could be the next The Taken King.
From Destiny 2 To A New Expansion: Will These Fan Requests Be Heard?
The Taken King was the most substantial update Destiny received since it was released in September of 2014. Unfortunately it basically locked out players who didn't purchase the update, but it was a worthwhile investment for those that actually enjoy this FPS. The Taken King was indicative of everything we originally wanted from Destiny, and we sincerely hope the rest of the expansions Bungie have planned share a similar level of quality.
But what have fans actually requested from the future? What new updates, mechanics and features would avid players like to have in Destiny 2 or its expansion? Let's take a look at a few of the most requested features that Destiny's new expansion could feature in September of 2016.
- MOAR - Destiny disappointed a lot of people on its release. The game was simply far too limited, as it forced players to repeat the same kind of missions a hundred times over on a very small amount of planets and locations. Players want more variety, particularly when it comes to planets. Why do we spawn at the same place every time and simply roam the same area for a new underground location? It sucks and Bungie can do better.
- Ship Functions - What's the point? I know you have to show how Guardians get around the galaxy, but at the moment Destiny's ships are purely cosmetic. Why can't we see something like space battles? Or at least take control of our ships during loading screens, thus alleviating the game's profound sense of boredom as we wait for it. Let's show off our ships in a new space battle mode, Bungie. It would be incredible.
- In Game Lore - Curse the Activision personnel that decided the Grimoire cards were an appropriate substitute for an in game storyline. There are so many players that still feel no connection to Destiny, its characters or events. The Taken King has taken ;) some decent steps in the right direction. For instance we actually got an interesting antagonist. But every Destiny expansion or sequel in the future needs to expand far beyond this point.
- LFG - Looking For Group, is a system that would enable players to search for groups of players online, thus making matchmaking for Raids and such a lot easier. It's something that Destiny has always lacked and we still can't figure out why it isn't a feature.
- More Of Sparrow Racing - Sparrow Racing in Destiny was such a great idea and it's such a shame that great content like that was only available for a limited period of time. Why not bring it back and make it a permanent part of the game? Destiny needs more mini-games and entertaining alternatives than simply walking in to a room and killing waves of enemies.
What about you guys? What do you desire from Destiny's 2016 expansion and the inevitable Destiny 2? Let us know in the comments below!