The final Captain America: Civil War trailer is here, and despite how awesome it is, as a fan of the comics I can't help but think about the differences between the comic and the movie!
In case you've missed the trailer here it is:
The Marvel Cinematic Universe has only been around for eight years, so there are dozens of characters that have yet to appear on screen! In the upcoming film we have very small teams in comparison to the comics story line.
- Black Panther: Movie News, Rumors, Trailer, Release Date & All You Need To Know
Team Cap - MCU
In the film we have a strong six that make up Team Captain America.
- Bucky/Winter Soldier - The Captain America trilogy has been focused on the relationship between Cap and Bucky, so it's no surprise that Bucky sides with Cap. We also know that a huge part of the separation of these Avengers teams has to do with Bucky's dark history.
- Scarlet Witch - This newcomer was introduced in Age of Ultron. We're assuming that because of her villainous past, and her distrust of Stark, that this is why she's chosen Captain America's side.
- Hawkeye - It's a little surprising that Barton has chosen Cap's renegades, but I believe that his bond is stronger with Cap than with Stark.
- Ant-Man - The newest member of the MCU, Scott Lang, has chosen to side with Captain America. We know that Lang has a bit of hero worship with Steve Rogers, and this is why they've likely teamed up. Plus his past run in with Falcon, and his mentor's distrust of Stark.
- Falcon - Wilson sided with Captain America in Winter Soldier, and even hid him and Black Widow from S.H.I.E.L.D. during their fugitive status. Falcon and Cap have a strong bond, and with their search for Bucky, I believe that Wilson has seen the good in Bucky that others can't.
Team Cap - Comics
- Falcon - His relationship with Cap is very similar to what it has been in the MCU, so it was no surprise that Falcon became one of Cap's right hands during the Superhero Civil War. It's interesting to note that out of everyone on Cap's Team, Falcon is the only one that is on his side in the film also!
- Daredevil - Actually Iron Fist at the time, Rand was wearing his friend's superhero outfit to mislead the media, hoping to take pressure away from Matt Murdock who had been outed to the public. Rand is considered a "street hero", who is opposed to being part of an organized group such as the Avengers or S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Luke Cage - Like Iron Fist Cage is a street hero, and he'd already admired Cap when he was asked to join the Avengers. That hero worship influenced him when Cap formed the Avengers against the Superhuman Registration Act.
- Young Avengers - During a time when the Avengers were on a hiatus these teenage heroes formed a team mimicking the aliases of the originals, this team included: Hulkling, Wiccaan, Patriot, Hawkeye, and the rebuilt Vision. This team is one of the exact reasons the Superhuman Registration exists, so that they can receive proper training before putting a mask or cape on. The Young Avengers took insult to this and sided with Cap.
Black Panther and Storm - The King of Wakanda and his new Queen started out as neutral to the Superhero Civil War as both the Wakandans and the X-Men refused to support either side. However, after seeing how Stark intended to "win" both of these heroes ended up on Cap's side.
- Cloak and Dagger - These two "street heroes" also sided with Cap because of their refusal to join organized superheroes, and having seen the corruption in the government in the past. Cloak, especially, was extremely useful to Cap's team because of his teleportation powers.
Goliath - Bill Foster has size changing powers, similar to Scott Lang and Hank Pym. Even though he sided with Cap in the beginning of the Civil War, he was killed halfway through. His death pushed several heroes from Stark's side to Cap's.
- Invisible Woman and Human Torch - Even though these two are part of the Fantastic Four, and originally sided with Stark, they defected and aided Cap and his rogues during the later part of the Civil War. Once Goliath was killed Sue realized all her friends on the other side could die, and single handedly helped them escape.
Spider-Man - Before the war started Iron Man had been grooming Parker to work closely with him at Stark Industries, and even built him an Iron Spider suit. However, Spider-Man defected halfway through the Civil War as he saw how far Stark was willing to go to "win" the war, and S.H.I.E.L.D. sent a team to apprehend him, nearly killing him in the process.
- Punisher - Even though he's neither a villain nor a hero, Punisher knew the government was not to be trusted with something this big and he aided Spider-Man's escape from Stark and brought him to Team Cap.
Team Iron Man - MCU
- Black Panther - New to the MCU, the King of Wakanda has sided with Iron Man. We don't know enough about Panther yet to understand his motives or the reasons he's chosen this side. However, wide spread belief is that Bucky is connected to Panther's father's death, and he's seeking revenge.
- Vision - Another newcomer to the franchise has chosen Team Iron Man, and with his Infinity Stone he's easily the most powerful member on Stark's side, possibly on both sides! In Age of Ultron Vision said something that, I think, defines his choice. He told the Avengers he was not on their side, but he was not on Ultron's side. He was, instead, on the side of life. I believe that's what has influenced his decisions here.
- Black Widow - It is surprising that Natasha has chosen to side with Stark after how her former employer S.H.I.E.L.D. turned out to be the evil organization Hydra. It's also surprising because of her bond with Captain America, after their adventure in The Winter Soldier and beginning to train a new team of Avengers at the end of Age of Ultron. It'll be very interesting to see what guides her in this decision!
- War Machine - Rhodey has been BFFs with Stark since the beginning of the franchise back in 2008, and he works for the government so it's no surprise that he has sided with the Pro-Registration team.
- Spider-Man - Little is known about the new Peter Parker. We know he's a High School student, and we know that we will be seeing him about a year into him becoming Spider-Man. The assumption by fans at the moment is that he sides with Stark because he's a fan of the tech genius.
Team Iron Man - Comics
- Black Widow - During the Civil War, Black Widow was pro-registration, and afterwards she helped Stark rebuild S.H.I.E.L.D. as well as the Avengers Academy to train new heroes.
- War Machine - Rhodey sided with Iron Man just as he will in the film, however sometime during the fighting Rhodey was so mangled that his arms and legs had to be replaced with cybernatic limbs. Could we see this play out on film? It's very possible after seeing how injured he is in the trailer!
- Maria Hill - At the time the Civil War began Hill was acting Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. because Fury was on the run (and S.H.I.E.L.D. never fell apart like it did in the MCU). Hill is also the one who originally branded Cap a traitor as he refuses to give into her demands.
Hank Pym - Pym is one of Stark's most trusted teammates, however a large majority of the Civil War he's actually been replaced with Young Avenger Hulkling, a shape shifter who infiltrated Stark's team.
- Mr Fantastic - Richards is one of the brains behind the Registration Act, he Pym and Stark are three of the most brilliant people in the world, and part of their goals after the war is over is to create a superhero team for each of the fifty states, better prisons for villains, as well as many other much needed projects to improve the world. Although his wife switched sides halfway through the war Reed did all he could to get her amnesty, and even saved her life during the final battle, nearly ending his own.
Wasp - Janet had always been public with her identity, so she didn't see a reason to reject the Superhuman Registration Act. She wasn't active in the war, however, instead she hosted a reality show called America's Newest Superhero and used this platform to gain public support for registration.
- She-Hulk - Even though Walters understood the Anti-Registration mentality, as a lawyer she believed her duty was to protect and obey the law so she joined Iron Man's team.
- Ms Marvel - Danvers seemed to unapprove of the Registration Act at first, but she saw it's potential with the Avengers Academy and the 50 State Initiative so she decided it was worth the sacrifice.
- Wonderman - Having been a villain once himself Williams understood the need for government to be involved in enforcing and restricting superheroes. Simon was one of the superheroes who appeared in TV campaign ads encouraging those in hiding to come out.
- Thor Clone - In Thor's absence Tony Stark created a clone of the thunder God and enhanced it with cybernetics. The clone could not be controlled, and ended up killing the Anti-Registration Goliath.
- Sentry - Originally Sentry flew into space to avoid having to fight anyone he cared about. Iron Man found him, and begged him to see what he was attempting to do to change the world, and Reynolds agreed.
- Thunderbolts - Another of Stark's darkest decisions was to recruit villains to help the Pro-Registration hunt down Cap's team. The villains were promised amnesty and freedom in return. These villains included: Venom, Lady Deathstrike, Bullseye, Taskmaster, Vulture and Green Goblin. These villains were responsible for nearly killing Spider-Man when he flipped sides.
As you can see the teams that have translated from the comics to the upcoming Captain America: Civil War film are much different! The most obvious part is that the teams are much smaller, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, especially since it's not technically an "Avengers" film, and we will be focusing mostly on Cap and Bucky. We'll still have plenty of epic fights between the two groups of heroes!
It's interesting to see characters like Black Widow, Falcon and War Machine have each chosen the same side they did in the comics while Black Panther has changed over to Stark's side! How will this play out, time will tell! This movie is getting closer, and quickly snowballing into the most anticipated Marvel movie yet!