Thanks to GameStop's website, fans were able to uncover the release date for Star Wars: Battlefront's first DLC pack. Outer Rim is allegedly set to hit XBOX One, PS4 and PC on April 5 (my birthday...just saying) and will cost $15. The new content will allow players to "fight among the factories of Sullust and battle within Jabba the Hutt's palace on Tatooine." It includes four new maps, a new mode, new weapons, and two playable heroes—Sullustan rebel Nien Nunb and Rodian bounty hunter Greedo.
While it's nice to see fans who purchased the Season pass for Star Wars: Battlefront finally get something for their money, there have been plenty of negative comments flying around. Why?
Star Wars: Battlefront - Fans Unhappy Following Outer Rim DLC Release Date Reveal
While the disappointment over the new heroes and villains in Outer Rim is totally understandable (we think it's a disgrace), fans have once again taken a stab at the total lack of substantial content in DICE and EA's latest collaboration.
For instance, Extraction, the new game mode that comes with Outer Rim, is a capture-the-flag type mode in which Rebels must fight to deliver a resource shipment to their transport before time runs out. Empire players will have to stop the Rebels before the delivery is made. Are we really expected to pay $15 for a capture-the-flag mode? Don't we already have something like this? Is this worth paying extra for? Well, for many fans, it simply isn't.
You can head over to any large gaming news website that covered this release date news and I'm sure the comments will be laden with similar responses. Here's just a taste of what IGN's readers had to say:
- "Wait instead of old Ben Kenobi, Tarkin, Yoda, Chewbacca or Lando we go for Nien Nunb? I've been an own anything Star Wars fan since i was a kid and i had to look up who that was."
- "I'm going to buy the DLC, play it for a day, be disappointed and then come back here to complain."
- "Since when was capture the flag dlc content and not included in a multiplayer only game? Disgrace."
- "I hate the fact that they're just doing a clothes re-skin of the Rebel Rodian / Sullust face skin already available. It couldn't get any lazier."
- "Man can't wait for EA to announce the Man Standing in Background character DLC."
I can't deny that I've spent a lot of time with DICE's [Star Wars: Battlefront](tag:2684021). But even John Boyega - the awesome Finn from [Star Wars: Episode VII — The Force Awakens](tag:711158) - felt that this game needed more content and a singleplayer campaign.
It's far too bare bones and I'm not seeing anything particularly exciting in this first round of DLC for Battlefront. Perhaps Chewie, Lando, Obi Wan and many more genuinely iconic Star Wars characters will be added over time with some better modes, but that wait may take us into 2017. What do you guys think of Star Wars: Battlefront? Let us know in the comments below!