Let me get one thing out here. I'm all for strong female characters, I think we're in a time where there seems to be a spike of prominent roles for leading ladies, and I hope it continues to rise and rise. Since Eva Green's role as Vesper Lynd in Casino Royale really defined the Bond girl: Resourceful, capable and smart, we need more roles like this in film in general, as well as the Bond franchise.
The same could be said for Judi Dench's M, the best incarnation of M ever in my opinion, who called the shots and put Bond in his place more than once. Olga Kurylenko's Camille Montes in Quantum of Solace had her own agenda that she was more than up for facing despite insurmountable and dangerous odds. I've been thinking about the future of Bond, and who will be next to take on the big role of England's best spy. Check out my list I made for 10 potential Bond actors! I was also thinking about the future leading ladies to take on the Bond girl role. Monica Bellucci and Lea Seydoux were excellent in Spectre, who will be next? Below I've picked 20 actresses who could/should be considered for upcoming Bond films:
20. Charlotte Le Bon - This French actress has been appearing in some exciting films and proving herself quite the star. Starring opposite Joseph Gordon Levitt in The Walk playing a strong and fiery character, she left an impression on me. With her upcoming role in British action film Bastille Day, it'll be interesting to see her boast her action skills.
19. Maggie Q - Her calming voice, incredible looks and a strong presence onscreen, this Honolulu born star has kicked ass in films like M:I3 and Priest, but really made her mark in the fourth Die Hard film. Relentless, quick and utterly convincing as a computer hacker/skilled killer, Maggie Q would make a terrific Bond girl, possibly one who is actually a baddie, much like Rosamund Pike's Miranda Frost.
18. Annabelle Wallis - Oxford born actress Annabelle Wallis certainly has the looks to be a very striking Bond girl. Seeing her play a new mother in horror spinoff Annabelle showed her sensitive side, and very well. With a role in action comedy The Brothers Grimsby, and upcoming reboot of King Arthur, she's getting some exciting roles, especially in the upcoming Mummy reboot with Tom Cruise. It's good to see more of what she can offer onscreen, so if she has the talent, a Bond movie seems a good idea.
17. Katee Sackhoff - Facing off against the likes of Vin Diesel's Riddick and boasting her dramatic chops in Oculus and Longmire, and billed as a potential player for Captain Marvel, Sackhoff has the look and talent to take on such a role in the Bond world. I'd like to see her as opposition to Bond, Sackhoff has this screen presence that leaves a lasting impression.
16. Alice Braga - After boasting her action chops in Predators and playing a dramatic and rather affecting part in Elysium, Alice Braga is one of those actresses who may not be the most popular, appearing in big films now and again, her talent needs to be recognised further, and I reckon she'd knock our socks off in a Bond film with her striking looks and diverse range of performance skills seen across her career.
15. Sophia Myles - She seemingly dropped off the screens for years. She was stylish and cool in the first Underworld film, and since that film I rarely saw Myles in any films or popular TV shows. She then appeared in Transformers: Age Of Extinction, one of my favourites and damn she was very good, capable of grounding the big action with her strong performance. Sophia Myles is actually one of my favourite British actresses, and I hope to see more of her in future films.
14. Rebecca Hall - One of the finest British actresses! Iron Man 3, The Awakening and best of all The Gift, Rebecca Hall is consistently dishing out fantastic performances and I don't know how she does it! Considering her talent and ability to envelop the screen with her range, she'd definitely make an impact in the Bond world.
13. Lara Pulver - Sherlock, DaVinci's Demons, MI5 and starring in the upcoming fifth Underworld film, Pulver has no shortage of exciting roles. With striking looks, a mysterious onscreen persona and a clear sign she is having a blast with each role, Bond seems like a fitting destination for her to go next, I read somewhere if ever a female Bond were to arise, she'd be great in the role. That would be pretty sweet!
12. Oona Chaplin - Although she had a tiny role in Quantum Of Solace, Oona Chaplin has been making some waves with roles in Game of Thrones, Inside No.9 and Black Mirror. She's boasted her range and likability, and since her role in Quantum was so minor, what about a proper role?
11. Hayley Atwell - Ever since seeing her witty and classy role as Peggy Carter in Captain America: The First Avenger, and unfathomably cool role in The Sweeney, I always said she'd make a fantastic Bond girl. And again, one to play the villain, as we don't get enough female villains in Bond, and who better to play a authoritative figure than Atwell herself who has proven time and time again she can own the screen.
10. Julianne Moore - Monica Bellucci's performance in Spectre was one of the highlights of that film for me. Having the first 50 year old Bond woman was a unique aspect for the franchise, and the oldest Bond woman was a revolutionary for Bond and Bellucci pulled it off despite a short appearance. I'd like to see more Bond women, with more screen time, and who better than one of the best actresses of our time than Julianne Moore to take on the role. She can do no wrong, even in bad film Seventh Son, she still made it work. I'd like to see her star power and talent take on the Bond franchise.
9. Evangeline Lilly - Admittedly I have a major crush on this incredible actress, but even if that weren't the case, Evangeline Lilly would be a terrific star in Bond. From The Hobbit trilogy, Real Steel to Ant-Man, Lilly is a fantastic action star who has consistently balanced emotion, action chops and the witty interplay with co-stars, which is something Bond films have always been about, the dialogue between the key players.
8. Berenice Bejo - Another Berenice for Bond? After French actress Berenice Lim Marlohe's striking and amazing role in Skyfall, Bejo's faultless performance in The Artist is something to go by. Her energetic screen presence would be a great way to make her entrance in Bond, especially if her role were another field agent.
7. Noomi Rapace - Her filmography is filled to the brim with stellar pictures, and stellar work from her too! Noomi Rapace can do no wrong. Starring opposite Bond star Daniel Craig in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, she had a great dynamic with him onscreen and even though his return to 007 is highly unlikely, she'd work well regardless of who the actor playing the next incarnation of Bond is, and that would be something exciting to see.
6. Freida Pinto - When Slumdog Millionaire came out, many people billed Freida Pinto as the next Bond girl. Years later, she hasn't been in that role...Why not!?
5. Elodie Yung - Kicked ass in G.I. Joe Retaliation, steals the screen in Marvel's Daredevil series and played a seriously edgy role in D:13 Ultimatum, wouldn't it be nice to see a female version of Oddjob or Mr. Hinx? Elodie Yung fits the bill and she's all about playing strong female characters.
4. Lupita Nyong'o - In 12 Years A Slave she blew us all away, a few months back she took to a galaxy far, far away with The Force Awakens, and had a brief but classy role in Non-Stop with Liam Neeson, I see no signs of her star power slowing down so I'd love to see her star in a Bond film. She'd make a terrific franchise newcomer, I reckon she'd put Bond through his paces, Vesper Lynd style.
3. Thandie Newton - Another actress where I've been surprised she hasn't been in Bond. Her effortlessly cool performance in Rock 'n' Rolla stood out to me, and delivered some witty one liners in Run Fat Boy Run, it's not too late for Newton.
2. Michelle Dockery - A series favourite in Downton Abbey for many across the UK, this British actress is an ideal choice. Stunning, very talented and eminently watchable, she'd fit into the role superbly and after a thrilling role in Non-Stop, I'd like to see her given a meatier action role allowing her to leave a lasting impression as a great Bond girl. Much like my next choice, I feel she could definitely pull off the double agent archetype.
1. Kate Beckinsale - Taking my number one spot and top choice is this star. I remember seeing Pearl Harbour as a young lad a few years after its theatrical release, and I was pretty much in love with Beckinsale. By that time I'd seen my first Bond film in the cinema, Die Another Day, since 2002 I have always wanted to see her as a Bond girl. Over the years I've seen her talent grow. Her action skills are second to none and she dominates the screen in everything. The Underworld films are a pure calling card for her talent! Total Recall in 2012, that was the moment I realised this actress needs to be in Bond. Even if she plays the evil 007 girl, like Famke Janssen's Xenia Onatopp, I'd be over the moon.