The talent for acting seems to be connected with the talent for singing. However, that could just be the theater geek in us speaking. It's no secret that not every actor or actress out there can cross that line between film/television and music — but there are more than you'd think. Not only have they crossed that line, but quite a few of them have been incredibly successful bridging that gap.
Here are 40 actors and actresses who also have pretty awesome singing voices. While some of these celebrities you no doubt already knew had musical chops, I would wager that there are quite a few that you will be surprised to see. Whether it's simply performing their own vocals in movies or touring around the world in a legitimate rock band, there is definitely some fun to be had. Rock on, everyone!
40. Steve Martin
Steve Martin has been acting and singing throughout Hollywood since the late '70s. He's starred in musical adaptations such as Little Shop of Horrors and did plenty of singing while hosting and guest starring on Saturday Night Live, but his musical endeavors have extended in recent years. Martin has been playing the banjo in a bluegrass group since 2009 and has even won a #Grammy for Best Bluegrass Album. Martin has released five studio bluegrass albums and doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon.
- Would Steve Martin Films Perform as Well as They Did Decades Ago Today?
- 5 Classic Comedies on Netflix That You Need To Watch Now
- Age Is Just A Number! 19 Married Celebrity Couples With a Shocking Age Difference
39. Daisy Ridley
We have only recently been introduced to newcomer Daisy Ridley after she was cast as Rey in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, but we have quickly found out how multi-talented this young actress is. In addition to becoming a breakthrough star, Ridley recently showed off her singing chops by singing alongside Anne Hathaway and the iconic Barbara Streisand.
Ridley's duet will be featured on Streisand's album, Streisand Encore: Movie Partners Sing Broadway.
- The Force Is Strong With Daisy Ridley In Her 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Audition Footage
- Before Star Wars: A Look At Who Daisy Ridley Really Is
- Daisy Ridley Had The Perfect Answer To People Criticizing Rey's Appearance
38. Robert Pattinson
Robert Pattinson skyrocketed to fame when he was cast as #EdwardCullen in the Twilight franchise, but what most people don't know is that he's also a talented musician and vocalist. Pattinson played piano and lent vocals to Twilight in 2008 (as Rob Pattinson) and in the 2008 film, How to Be.
- Robert Pattinson Talks Insecurity, Regrets And 'Twilight'
- Here's Exactly What Robert Pattinson Has Been Doing In 2016
- Robert Pattinson is even more rich than you thought from 'Twilight'
37. Gwyneth Paltrow
We got our first taste of how good Gwyneth Paltrow's voice was when she starred in the musical drama, Country Strong, and it didn't stop there. Paltrow guest starred on the Fox musical hit, Glee, and even performed at the Oscars.
I'm sure it was a very musical house when she was married to Coldplay frontman Chris Martin, eh?
36. Ryan Gosling
Did you know that #RyanGosling could have been in *NSYNC? Gosling started his young career off by appearing on the Mickey Mouse Club and yes, it involved singing. Gosling sang alongside future pop stars such as Britney Spears, JC Chasez and #JustinTimberlake. Gosling seemed to choose acting over music, but that didn't stop him from lending his voice to films such as Blue Valentine, Lars and the Real Girl, Lost River, and La La Land.
- Why 'Arrival' Indicates Ryan Gosling's 'Blade Runner 2' Will Be The Sequel We Deserve
- 20 Facts You Didn't Know About Ryan Gosling
- Emma Stone And Ryan Gosling's Chemistry Reaches New Heights In 'La La Land'
35. Michael Cera
We got a brief glimpse into Michael Cera's musical chops from films such as Juno, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and Superbad, but we didn't see the extent of his talents until years later. Cera released his debut studio album (available to legally stream below in full) in 2014 after independently funding, mixing and packaging the album via fan support on Bandcamp.
It's a bit quirky but hey, so is Michael Cera.
34. Chris Pine
Chris Pine wasn't cast in a singing role in Into the Woods for nothing. While it came as a surprise to many, Pine managed to woo us with his voice and had previously lent his voice for the film, Small Town Saturday Night. You can feel free to sing whenever you'd like, Chris.
- Chris Pine Says 'Star Trek' Can't Be Cerebral In 2016 - Is He Right?
- 'Star Trek Beyond': Why Fans Owe Chris Pine An Apology
- Happy Birthday Chris Pine! 8 Fun Facts About the Star Trek Actor
33. Nicole Kidman
Nicole Kidman is another one of those actresses who seems to be able to do anything, right? This Oscar-winner debuted her voice with Moulin Rouge! and has since released covers of songs ranging from Frank Sinatra to Prince. She's also lent her voice to films such as Happy Feet and Nine, and has collaborated with British singer/songwriter Robbie Williams.
(Not to mention she's performed duets with her husband, country star Keith Urban.)
- 7 Top Films by the Hottest Redheaded Actress: Nicole Kidman
- 10 Things You Didn't Know About 'Moulin Rouge'
- The Good, The Bad, and the Wicked: Top 10 Witches in Film and Television
32. John C. Reilly
John C. Reilly is a pretty versatile actor as far as genre goes, but he's also been pretty active when it comes to singing. He appeared in the Oscar-winning musical Chicago back in 2001 and has since lent his voice to films such as Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, The Extra Man, and Magnolia. He's also appeared on-stage in plays such as A Streetcar Named Desire and The Grapes of Wrath.
31. Dakota Fanning
Dakota Fanning has kept pretty hush about her voice, but we all learned that she has some talent while starring as Cherie Currie in The Runaways. Along with her costars, Kristen Stewart and Scout Taylor-Compton, Fanning provided her own vocal tracks for the film and its soundtrack. She even spent time with the real Cherie Currie to make sure she got things just right.
30. Zachary Levi
I know we all think of Chuck whenever we see Zachary Levi, but the truth is this guy has some serious vocal talent. Not only did he provide his own vocals for the 2010 #Disney film Tangled, but he recently was nominated for a Tony Award for his performance in She Loves Me on Broadway.
- 5 Reasons Why CHUCK Was One of TV's Best Shows EVER (and How it Can Continue)
- Chuck's Dramedy/Action Resonates Almost 5 Years Later
- 5 Shows You Wish Were Never Cancelled
29. Jack Black
If you've never heard Jack Black perform, you're seriously missing out. Not only has Black lent his vocals to films such as School of Rock, Nacho Libre and High Fidelity, but he has performed under the alias of "JB" in the rock-comedy group Tenacious D. Alongside guitarist Kyle Gass, the group has released three studio albums and even had their own movie, Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny.
28. Millie Bobby Brown
We all saw what Millie Bobby Brown is capable of on-screen when #StrangerThings premiered on #Netflix, but she has a second talent that might even go farther than acting. If you look at Brown's YouTube page, you can see her perform songs from the likes of Amy Winehouse, Adele, Ed Sheeran and John Lennon. Not to mention her slaying a verse from Nicki Minaj while guest starring on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon.
- Let The Kids Of 'Stranger Things' Melt Your Heart With Their Behind-The-Scenes Antics
- Netflix Casts A Great Group Of Young Actors, But 'Stranger Things' Have Happened
- 'Stranger Things' Facts & Theories: Everything We Know About Season 2 On Netflix
27. Hayden Panettiere
If you ever watched Disney Channel, you are probably aware of Hayden Panettiere's vocal talent. She got her singing career started early in 2004 when she released a single to go with the Disney Channel Original Movie, Tiger Cruise. She released her first single as a solo artist in 2008 and has since appeared on the musical-drama, Nashville. If you look at her discography, it's actually pretty impressive.
- Hayden Panettiere And Christina Aguilera Are Totally Twinning Singing 'Lady Marmalade' On 'Lip Sync Battle'
- 'It Made My Life Better': Hayden Panettiere Speaks About Going Public About Her Postpartum Depression Treatment
26. Rita Wilson
Most people know Rita Wilson from a small collection of Hollywood hits and because she's married to Tom Hanks. However, Wilson has more recently been focusing on music and has been touring both as a solo artist and with her group, AM/FM. She even has two studio albums to call her own.
- Tom Hanks Was Crushing On Rita Wilson From Her 'Brady Bunch' Cheerleading Dance
- Rita Wilson Celebrates Being Officially "Cancer Free" by Returning to Broadway!
- Proof That the Love IS Real Among These 21 Celebrity Couples!
25. Johnny Depp
It wasn't a surprise when Tim Burton cast Johnny Depp in Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, but it did make a lot of people nervous. Although he'd dabbled in music since the early '90s, we hadn't really heard him sing before. Everyone's fears were quickly reversed when we not only found out #JohnnyDepp could sing, but that he was actually really good at it, just like he's really good at disappearing into a role.
In addition to acting and providing vocals for more films since 2007, Depp has been performing with the rock group Hollywood Vampires, alongside Alice Cooper and Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry.
- Johnny Depp's 6 New Upcoming Movies: From Murderous Moose To Paralytic Pirate
- 10 Times Johnny Depp Quotes Defined Your Life
- Did Anyone Spot Johnny Depp On 'The Walking Dead'?
24. Ewan McGregor
We all loved Ewan McGregor in Trainspotting and Star Wars, but he does also have an accomplished vocal career. In addition to dancing and providing his own vocals for Moulin Rouge!, he contributed to the soundtracks for films such as Trainspotting #2, Down With Love, and Velvet Goldmine.
- Ewan McGregor Would Totally Do Another Star Wars Film But He's Not Pushing It And Neither Should You
- Obi Wan Ken00bie! Ewan McGregor Can't Remember His Part In 'The Force Awakens'
- Ewan McGregor Agrees With You About The Phantom Menace
23. Idris Elba
Did you know that Idris Elba was also a DJ? In addition to the British actor's extensive and growing filmography, Elba has released a total of four studio EP's as well as a collection of mixtapes under the alias DJ Driis. He's even spun tracks at music festivals including Ibiza Rocks and has done backstage parties for Sirius XM Radio.
- True Brit: Why Idris Elba Makes The Perfect Gunslinger For 'The Dark Tower' Movie
- Porn, Parties And Phwoar! 10 Idris Elba Facts You Need To Know
- 00 Heaven: 9 'Luther' Moments That Prove Idris Elba Should Be Bond
22. Emmy Rossum
Emmy Rossum's voice burst onto the scene when she was cast as Christine in the 2004 film adaptation of The Phantom of the Opera alongside Gerard Butler, and her musical career has only continued to grow. She had already lent her voice in Songcatcher and has since released four studio albums.
21. Helena Bonham Carter
It's not really a surprise that Helena Bonham Carter can sing, right? She can pretty much do anything. In addition to performing her own vocals in films such as Les Miserables, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Cinderella and Corpse Bride, she's also had an accomplished career on-stage in musical theater.
- Helena Bonham Carter's Top 5 Iconic Roles
- Too Soon To Ship? These 5 Movies Prove Helena Bonham Carter And Johnny Depp Would Make The Perfect Couple
- The Golden Age of Helena Bonham Carter: 30 Years In The Movies
20. Scarlett Johansson
We haven't seen Scarlett Johansson sing too much on the big screen, but the vocal talent is definitely there. In addition to collaborations and performances with bands such as the Jesus and Mary Chain, Johansson released her debut studio album in 2008 and has released two more since then. She even formed her own girl-band in 2015 called The Singles.
- Scarlett Johansson Is Officially The Highest-Grossing Actress Ever
- What Are Scarlett Johansson's Hottest On-Screen Moments?
- 7 Scarlett Johansson Roles To Show She's Ready For The Solo Black Widow Movie
19. Hugh Jackman
Hugh Jackman is not only an accomplished actor, but he has let his singing voice be well-known throughout his career. He organized a rather extravagant musical number while hosting the Oscars, alongside Anne Hathaway, and he has starred in musicals including Les Miserables, Australia, Oklahoma!, and has hosted the Tony Awards multiple times. And then there's this:
Yeah, you are.
18. Emma Stone
Although we haven't seen Emma Stone in a musical just yet, she has managed to wow us with some of her own vocals both in Easy A and while hosting Saturday Night Live. She's lending her voice, alongside Ryan Gosling, in La La Land. She's also performed on Broadway in Cabaret in the role of Sally Bowles; a role first made famous by Liza Minnelli.
17. Gaten Matarazzo
Dustin was everyone's favorite character on Stranger Things, right? Well, there is something more to love now that we see what an accomplished singer the now 14-year-old Gaten Matarazzo is. In addition to Stranger Things, he's appeared on Broadway in several singing roles in plays such as Les Miserables and Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.
- Gaten Matarazzo: Why Dustin Is The True Star Of 'Stranger Things'
- Is Gaten Matarazzo Related To Heather Matarazzo?
- Dustin From 'Stranger Things' Has Started The Coolest Celebrity Social Media Trend
16. Sacha Baron Cohen
We all know Sacha Baron Cohen from famous comedy roles such as Borat and Ali G, but he also has a pretty decent singing voice to fall back on if push comes to shove. Cohen was cast in Tim Burton's #musical Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Les Miserables and was initially cast as Freddie Mercury in a Queen biopic before dropping out of the project.
- Borat and Sacha Baron Cohen: Perverted Comedic Genius...You Joke?
- You Will Never Get This: Sacha Baron Cohen Calls Borat 2 'Impossible'
15. Juliette Lewis
Perhaps most famous for her roles in Natural Born Killers, Cape Fear and Christmas Vacation, Juliette Lewis is also an established vocalist. Lewis launched her music career in 2003 with the indie rock band Juliette and the Licks, and remained with the band until 2009. Although the band reunited in 2015, she maintained her music career in between acts as a solo artist, and has released a total of four studio albums.
14. Anna Kendrick
Prior to Pitch Perfect, Kendrick's vocal chops weren't too well-known. Since the film's 2012 release, and the popular single "Cups," her star has definitely risen in the music industry. In addition to the acapella comedy and its sequel, she showcased her vocal talent in the Disney musical Into the Woods.
- Anna Kendrick Wants To Play One Of The Newest Avengers: Squirrel Girl!
- Anna Kendrick’s Next 4 Movies Show You What To Expect When You're Expecting
- Anna Kendrick Is In A League Of Her Own In This Hilarious Sports Movie Sketch
13. Jada Pinkett Smith
Looks like Will Smith and the kids aren't the only musical ones! Jada Pinkett Smith has shown that she not only can sing, but she has been rocking out in the nu-metal band, Wicked Wisdom, since 2002. The band even toured with Ozzfest in 2005. Maybe a musical will happen in Jada's future someday.
- Will Smith's Adorable Message To Jada Pinkett Smith Will Totally Melt Your Heart
- Jada Pinkett Smith Responds To Janet Hubert But Insists She's Got Love For Everyone
- Jada Pinkett-Smith Did WHAT For Her Gotham Audition?!
12. Kristen Bell
Prior to Frozen, no one really seemed to be aware that Kristen Bell was also a singer, minus a small singing cameo in Veronica Mars. Since the film's monster success, Bell's voice has become a main focus as it's rumored that she might even be headed to #Broadway someday.
- 'Frozen's Kristen Bell Opens Up About Suffering From Depression And How She Let It Go
- Frozen 2: Kristen Bell Praises New Story
- Top 13 Cancelled TV Shows For 2016
11. Emily Blunt
We were all confused when we saw that Blunt had been cast in Into the Woods, but we learned very quickly why when we found out that her voice is actually pretty awesome. Not to mention she was rumored to have been cast as the title character in Disney's upcoming remake of Mary Poppins, beating out the fan favorite, Anne Hathaway.
- From Devil Wears Prada to Mary Poppins: Emily Blunt's Career in Review
- The Amazing Evolution of Emily Blunt and Her New Role in Sicario
- 'I’ll Be Honest. I F*cking Hate That Movie.' These Actors Were Bullied Into Roles They Didn't Want To Take
10. Ellen Page
We got a small taste of Page's vocal chops in the 2007 film, Juno, alongside her co-star, Michael Cera. Since then she has since given us more of her singing voice. She even showcased her vocals by doing voice work and motion capture for a video game called Beyond: Two Souls.
9. Amy Adams
Adams got a big breakthrough from starring in the Disney musical Enchanted, so it's never really been a secret that she can sing. She even performed songs from the film at the #Oscars. However, with the way her career has gone, it's easy to forget what a great vocalist she really is.
- You'll Be Enchanted By Amy Adams's Next 5 Projects
- Have You Been Dreaming Of An 'Enchanted 2'? Amy Adams Has, Too!
'Arrival' Trailer: Amy Adams Leads Denis Villeneuve's New Sci-Fi Thriller
8. Shawnee Smith
Most famous for playing Amanda Young in the Saw franchise and for being Ted Danson's ditzy receptionist on Becker, you wouldn't expect that this little lady used to front a rock band. Not only did she tour and release two albums with a rock band called Fydolla Ho alongside Metallica bassist Robert Trujillo, but she recorded a country-rock album in 2008 under the name Smith & Pyle with fellow actress, Missi Pyle.
7. Jared Leto
Although he won an Oscar for Dallas Buyers Club, #JaredLeto has been far more successful as a rock star. Despite constant criticism, Leto has been part of the alt-rock group Thirty Seconds to Mars since 1998, serving as rhythm guitarist and lead vocalist. The band has released four studio albums (with a fifth on the way) and even holds a Guinness World Record for the longest rock tour in history.
He also directed a music documentary, Artifact, in 2012 surrounding the band's $30 million lawsuit with their label, Virgin/EMI. Oh, I forgot to mention the band has one of the largest fanbases around the world, known as The Echelon.
- Is The Joker In 'Justice League'? We May Finally Have Confirmation From Iceland
- Jared Leto Has A Designer Threesome In A Bath & Other Raunchy Celeb Ads
- Gee, Mistah J: Getting to Know 'Suicide Squad' Actor Jared Leto
6. Zooey Deschanel
It's not really a secret, but not everyone is aware of the New Girl star's musical career. Her style is a bit different than most, but it's just what you expect from Deschanel: ukulele's and adorably soft vocals. Deschanel has also been a part of the duo She & Him since 2006 and has released five studio albums.
- Zooey Deschanel Isn't As Adorkable As You'd Think
- Zooey Deschanel And The Importance Of New Girl's Jessica Day
- What Can We Expect From 'New Girl' Season 6?
5. Seth MacFarlane
Most of us know Seth MacFarlane from Family Guy, American Dad and Ted. In addition to being an amazing talent for voices and impersonations, he is also quite an accomplished vocalist. He not only showcased his vocals while hosting the Oscars in 2013, but he has also released three jazz/swing albums.
4. Joseph Gordon-Levitt
We all know he's a master at the lip sync battle, but Joseph Gordon-Levitt has some real vocal chops. In addition to teaming up with (500) Days of Summer co-star Zooey Deschanel for some adorable duets, he really showcased his vocal range singing with #LadyGaga on a Muppets Christmas special. Seriously, what's not to love about this guy?
- Undeniable Proof That Joseph Gordon-Levitt is the Best Guy in Hollywood
- Facebook Q&A: Joseph Gordon-Levitt Answers the Questions of Moviepilot Fans
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt & Three Decades of Brilliance
3. Katey Sagal
I bet you didn't know Katey Sagal originally started her career as a backup singer in the 1970s! Prior to her big break in Hollywood on Married... with Children, Sagal sang backup for artists such as Bob Dylan, Olivia Newton-John and Bette Midler. She has even released two of her own studio albums.
- 15 Famous Celebrities You Forgot Starred In Disney Channel Movies
- SOA Fans Approach Katey Sagal with Strange Request
- I'm Back Baby: Fan Casting A Live-Action 'Futurama' Movie
2. Kristen Stewart
Believe it or not, #KristenStewart initially started her career as a singer and she's actually quite good. As she made her way through Hollywood as a teenager, Stewart managed to tackle roles that required some singing. In addition to her charming duet with Emile Hirsch in Into the Wild, she provided all of her own vocals (and played her own guitar) to play Joan Jett in The Runaways.
- Kristen Stewart Is Severely Underrated And Her Filmography Proves It
- Kristen Stewart Opens Up About Relationship With Girlfriend Alicia Cargile
- Kristen Stewart NYT Interview Shows A Changed Actress: Her Transition in Six Films
1. Evan Rachel Wood
We saw her sing Beatles classics in Across the Universe, but her singing career didn't start or stop there. She trained in opera for her role as Veda in the HBO special Mildred Pierce and performed a mini concert at an afterparty for The Ides of March. She also has starred in a John Hughes-themed musical called For The Record: Dear John Hughes.
- 'Into The Forest': 5 Things We Learned About Ellen Page And Evan Rachel Wood
- True Blood's Bisexual Badass Evan Rachel Wood Opens Up About Her Battles With Biphobia
- 'Thirteen' Turns Thirteen! What's Evan Rachel Wood Been Up To Since Then, Besides 'Westworld'?
Who is your favorite singing celebrity on this list? Leave a comment and let us know!