With Nintendo revealing the new starter Pokemon for the 7th generation of games, it is time to speculate as to which one Ash could end up with on his team.
To date Ash has obtained to following region starter Pokemon from the first six generations of games.
- Kanto - Bulbasaur (currently at Prof. Oak lab), Charmander (now Charizard, currently at Prof. Oak lab) and Squirtle (released to return to the Squirtle Squad)
- Johto - Chikorita (now Bayleef, currently at Prof. Oak lab), Cyndaquil (now Quilava, currently at Prof. Oak lab) and Tododile (currently at Prof. Oak lab)
- Hoenn - Treeko (now Sceptile, currently at Prof. Oak lab)
- Sinnoh - Turtwig (now Torterra, currently at Prof. Oak lab) and Chimchar (now Infernape, currently at Prof. Oak lab)
- Unova - Snivy (currently at Prof. Oak lab), Tepig (now Pignite, currently at Prof. Oak lab) and Oshawott (currently at Prof. Oak lab).
- Kalos - Froakie (now Geninja but will most likely be placed at Prof. Oak lab before Ash heads to the new region of Alola)
The starter Pokemon he did not obtain were: Torchic (owned by May), Mudkip (owned by Brock), Piplup (owned by Dawn), Fennekin (owned by Serena) and Chespin (owned by Clement). With Ash having a clear trend of catching the starter Pokemon it is likely he will end up with at least one. With him obtaining Froakie during his journey through the gen six arc of the anime, it is unlikely he will obtain Popplio, another water type. But Popplio is most likely destined to be the partner of the next female trainer that will replace Serena.
Popplio has been given many poses in its character image that would align with it being used in Pokemon Contests. Both May and Dawn entered the Pokemon Contests during the third and fourth gen arcs in the anime, and Serena has taken an interest in Pokemon Showcases through performance. When both Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire were re-released as Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, a new generation of Pokemon fans were introduced to Pokemon Contests once again. Along with these images it could indicate the Pokemon Contests will be returning in the 7th generation and Popplio will be taking center stage in the anime. This leaves the grass/flying owl Rowlet and the fire cat Litten.
While many will probably be hoping for Ash to catch Litten given the black and red contrast working so well with the piercing yellow eyes. It is more likely he will receive Rowlet.
Rowlet has three character images showcasing both attacks and personality, but he also appears in Lipplio's character images trapped in a bubble. It is also an owl and Ash already owns an owl Pokemon, Noctowl, but he does not have the best diversity on his grass types he has previously caught. Rowlet being a grass/flying type would fill both the grass type space on Ash's team and his Pokemon he uses for aerial-recon. As Ash travels with companions and the fact they have images of these two Pokemon interacting and showcasing their appeal more, Litten may be out of the main mix to begin with.
Litten literally has only two images, one showing it doing what cats do while the other is an attack. With them revealing less on the fire feline, it is possible he will not join the main cast until later in the series and may go the the third member of the group.
Which of the new starter Pokemon do you think suits Ash the best?