It seems like it was just yesterday that #Netflix made our #TV dreams come true and announced that it would be reviving the beloved Gilmore Girls for a limited four-episode mini-series. The rumors resurfaced last October after the original series was added to the streaming service, before the news was then made official in January. Now, here we are — the week of the of the revival — almost ready to re-enter the world of Stars Hollow!
So much has happened since the announcement! We finally know the official title, we finally have a trailer and we finally know who's coming back. But what else do we know? Prepare yourselves for Netflix's journey with us to Stars Hollow by learning everything you need to know about the Gilmore Girls revival:
Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life
Such an interesting title isn't it? Well, that's because each of the four 90-minute episodes will be based on a season at Stars Hollow, starting with "Winter" then followed by "Spring," "Summer" and "Fall." Thus, in effect, the entire "Season" will focus on a year in the lives of our favorite Gilmore girls. I can't wait to see how many Stars Hollow festivals will feature; the "seasons" theme allows for practically all of them.
When Are The Episodes Released?
All four episodes of Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life will be added to Netflix on Friday November 25, 2016. While we initially thought each episode would be released separately, it turns out that all of them will be added to the streaming service together. So once you finish them, that's it!
While I understand why many wanted it to be dragged out in order to make what is perhaps the final era of Gilmore Girls to last just a little bit longer, I am so excited to watch them altogether. I'm definitely a binge-watcher (I binge-watched the original Gilmore Girls over a five-week period — I literally had Gilmore on the brain), so I look forward to doing the same this time around.
Almost All Of The Main Cast Is Returning!
When the revealed was made that Gilmore Girls was returning to our screens, it was also announced that creator Amy Sherman-Palladino and Daniel Palladino would be returning, along with almost every single beloved resident of Stars Hollow.
- Lauren Graham/Lorelai Gilmore: Everyone's favorite fast-talking cool mom with an overwhelming coffee addiction will be back to torture Luke and make some more amazing pop culture references!
- Alexis Bledel/Rory Gilmore: The bright, talented and beautiful daughter of Lorelai is back in Stars Hollow, looking for a new purpose in life.
- Kelly Bishop/Emily Gilmore: TV legend Kelly Bishop returns as the matriarch of the Gilmore clan. Emily will be more lost than ever without her husband Richard by her side and will seek out new ways to bring her joy.
- Scott Patterson/Luke Danes: Our favorite grumpy, diner-owner Luke is back to bless us with more rants and criticize our coffee addictions! When we last saw Luke, he and Lorelai just got back together, will they still be happy after all this time?
- Keiko Agena/Lane Kim: Keiko Agena will be returning as Rory's childhood best friend and partner in crime Lane to issue us with some more musical advice.
- Yanic Truesdale/Michel Gerard: No revival would be complete without Michel's brand of wit. The lovably snarky concierge of the Dragonfly Inn is a face we can't wait to see return!
- Jared Padalecki/Dean Forester: Rory's sweet and kind-hearted first love Dean will be back in town, and after being absent for Seasons 6 and 7, it will be exciting to see how he'll react to the woman Rory has become. Will she fall for him all over again?
- Milo Ventimiglia/Jess Mariano: Bad boy Jess cleaned up his act when we last saw him and based on the trailer, he and Rory still get on very well. There was some unfinished business between them during Season 6 which we never got to see. Will they finish that business in A Year In The Life?
- Matt Czuchry/Logan Huntzberger: The rich and powerful Logan started his relationship with Rory as a "no strings attached" but the two ended up falling for each other. But a denied proposal from Rory later, they broke up. Could Logan be back to try and make things work again?
- Liza Weil/Paris Geller: Rory's longtime love-to-hate/hate-to-love Chilton friend Paris is another character we can't to see once again brightening up our screens with her cynicism.
- Sean Gunn/Kirk Gleason: Kirk showed up at the most inopportune times and ended up delivering some of the most hilarious lines of the entire show. Now, let's see him do it all over again!
- David Sutcliffe/Christopher Hayden: Rory's father has a habit of popping up when we least expect him, and we haven't seen him since his short-lived marriage to Lorelai. What will he have to say upon his return?
- Liz Torres/Miss Patty: Miss Patty is one of our all-time favorite Stars Hollow faces —whether it was one of her quips or her affinity for gossip, she made such a great impression that we can't wait to see Liz Torres amazing us by doing it all once again.
- Sally Struthers/Babette Dell: The best, most quirky and adorable neighbor ever, Babette also loved a little gossip and never failed to make us laugh. Sally Struthers is amazing, and she's back "doll"!
- Michael Winters/Taylor Doose: I can't wait to see Taylor back orchestrating town meetings and finding something new to complain about! We love him really!
- Emily Kuroda/Mrs Kim: We are so excited to see Mrs Kim doing business with Stars Hollows residents in her antique shop. She may yell, she may threaten and she may intimidate, but she appreciates your business!
As well as those lovable faces, we will also see the likes of Jackson, Morey, Gypsy, Zach, Brian, Andrew, Grant the Troubadour, Headmaster Charleston and the one and only Paul Anka return to our screens!
Unfortunately, the only main character that will not feature in the show is Richard Gilmore due to Edward Herrmann's passing on December 31, 2014. He will most certainly be missed. The show will undoubtedly feature a special tribute to him.
Melissa McCarthy WILL Also Return
When the news of the Gilmore Girls revival broke, one name was always noticeably absent from reports. That was Melissa McCarthy, who played Sookie St. James on the show and has since become one of the biggest film stars of today. Despite a lot of rumors, the actress finally cleared things up during her interview with Ellen. She announced that she was so excited because she was able to make it happen. And just like that, Stars Hollow's favorite chef, Sookie, will be returning for Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life and we couldn't be happier!
If you're a fan of Gilmore Girls, check out these:
- Brand New Trailer For Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life Shows Rory Return Home Without A Plan
- 5 Things Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life Needs To Succeed
- 10 Observations Made Watching Gilmore Girls For The First Time
It Will Be Set Eight Years After Season 7
Many people weren't happy with the original ending of Gilmore Girls; Amy Sherman-Palladino and Daniel Palladino had left the show after Season 6, the Season 7 storylines didn't feel like they were heading toward a conclusion, so much so that the writers had to force a quick one into the final two episodes. It was a justified ending, worthy of the show, however, given the show's legacy, it deserved so much more. Sherman-Palladino has already respectfully acknowledged that they are not going to pretend that Season 7 never happened but that Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life will take place roughly eight years after the last episode.
Furthermore, we also know that Lorelai and Luke have not gotten married yet. This is a good thing as we were hoping to see that in the original series but now we might finally get the opportunity to see it in the revival! Oh, the anticipation!
We Will Finally Hear Those Last Four Words
For years we have wondered what Amy Sherman-Palldino's original vision for the ending of Gilmore Girls was. All we knew is that the ending featured a certain "last four words", but she always remained tight-lipped as to what they actually were. But now, thanks to Netflix, Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life will officially reveal those final four words.
Whatever they are is still a mystery. But it makes it all the more exciting knowing that you are watching what the creators' originally intended to end the original series with. While there are rumors that Netflix might bring the iconic series back again for another few specials, we can rest assured knowing that Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life will reveal the original final four words. And I can't wait!
The Cast Is Ageless!
The photos of the revival are proof that the cast of Gilmore Girls is ageless. Lorelai and Luke look virtually the exact same as they stroll through Stars Hollow. Rory may be a little taller but aside from that, she also looks like she did when we last saw her. But perhaps none of the cast look as identical to their younger selves as Emily Gilmore. Kelly Bishop looks younger now than she did in the pilot of Gilmore Girls. Seriously, it's like the cast are Vampires or something.
It may have been nine years, but the vast majority of the Gilmore Girls cast barely look like they have aged a day since we bid farewell to Stars Hollow in 2007. What is their secret?
It's Going To Be Amazing!
No matter what, it's going to be incredible to see Lorelai, Rory and all the residents and events of Stars Hollow one more time. Anything can happen in Stars Hollow but there is one thing that we know for sure: Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life is going to be amazing!
TIP: "Winter" is almost upon us, so if you don't have time to break out the boxset and binge-watch all 153 episodes, check out our essential guide to the most important episodes of Gilmore Girls to re-acquaint yourselves with the series, the characters, the festivals and the Friday Night dinners! And watch with a friend to introduce them to the awesomeness that is Gilmore Girls!
Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life lands on Netflix this Friday, November 25th. What are you most excited to see?
[Source: Entertainment Weekly]