The Joker is probably the most iconic superhero villain of all time and in August we get to see the latest on-screen adaptation of the character. The diverse and eccentric Jared Leto will take the reins as the Clown Prince of Crime, and fans are desperate to see what he will be like. But he will need some memorable quotes if he wants to go down in the history books. The likes of Heath Ledger, Jack Nicholson and Mark Hamill all gave us quotes we know by heart and we're going to count down the top 10 Joker quotes below! Let me know your favorite in the comments!
10. 'Where does he get those wonderful toys?' - Joker
The first entry on our list is the first of many from Tim Burton's 1989 Batman. This scene shows a very frustrated Joker annoyed at how Batman always has a gadget for everything, you can feel his pain in this one.
9. 'I believe whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you — stranger' - Joker
Next up on our list is the first entry from Christopher Nolan's critically acclaimed The Dark Knight, where Heath Ledger blew us away with his hauntingly good performance as the Joker. This quote is the first time we really see the Joker in the film and I get goosebumps every time I hear him say it.
8. 'As my plastic surgeon always said: 'If you gotta go, go with a smile'' - Joker
We're back to the 1989 Batman where Jack Nicholson gives us one of his best sarcastic jokes of the film. This one is not one you hear thrown around often, but it still stands as one of the best in the film.
7. 'Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push' - Joker
As crazy as Heath Ledger's Joker was, he made a lot of sense in things he was saying. One of the most pointed quotes from The Dark Knight is when he says this spine-tingling phrase.
6. 'This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You are truly incorruptible, aren’t you. You won’t kill me because of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness. And I won’t kill you because — you’re just too much fun. I get the feeling that you and I are destined to do this forever' - Joker
Another beautiful Joker quote that perfectly reflects his and Batman's relationship over the years. Batman spends so long tracking this maniac down only to have little resolved, and Joker captures it better than anybody.
5. 'Do I look like I’m joking?' - Joker
This quote is another classic from Nicholson's Joker where his sarcasm up 100 percent. It's a hard debate to say which Joker is better between Ledger and Nicholson when they both have so many iconic lines, which leads us on to another Nicholson classic.
4. 'Tell me something, my friend. Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?' - Joker
For me this is the definitive Jack Nicholson Joker quote; my go-to one whenever I'm asked for the best. Nicholson delivers this one quick, sharp and in perfect Joker fashion, with a gun to somebody.
3. 'Wanna know how I got these scars?' - Joker
For me, this was by far the most chilling line in the whole of The Dark Knight, especially when he says it to Gambol (above). In this same scene, Heath Ledger delivers my favorite line from the whole movie, which leads me onto No. 2.
2. 'Why so serious?' - Joker
This one is arguably the most popular and most quoted line from The Dark Knight. It first features when Heath Ledger's Joker describes the story of how he got his scars, delivering the chilling line: "Why so serious?"
Relive that scene below:
1. Mark Hamill's Laugh - Joker
To me, the Joker's best quote of them all is one that is shared across all the Jokers. His laugh has become iconic and might be the most recognizable laugh in the world. Ledger, Nicholson and Jared Leto all have amazing laughs, but none of theirs quite rank up to Mark Hamill's. If you need reminding of what it sounds like, look above.
If you're curious about how Luke Skywalker even landed the Joker part to begin with, see over here!
So, that's my ranking! Let me know your top 10 in the comments below!