Everyone fell in love with Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer when it came out in 1997, but the show did more than entertain; Buffy taught us a lot of important life lessons that made us both laugh and cry. Below are 20 facts about the beloved series you might not have known!
1. In the Season 3 finale, Graduation Day (Part 2) (S3 E22), Faith said to Buffy, "Little Miss Muffet counting down from 7-3-0." Hello, foreshadowing! 730 is the number of days until Buffy sacrifices herself at the end of Season 5, in The Gift (S5 E22).
2. The show won an Emmy Award in 1998 for Best Makeup in a Series for the Season 2 episodes Surprise and Innocence.
3. Prophecy Girl (S1 E12) is the only episode that features the Buffy theme song in the episode itself. The song plays when Xander, Buffy, and Angel are approaching the high school after Buffy is resuscitated.
4. The Puppet Show (S1 E9) is the only episode to play a scene over the end credits. In the scene shown, Buffy, Xander, and Willow are reciting their lines from their talent show skit.
5. Sandy, who is turned into a vampire by Evil Willow during the episode Doppelgangland (S3 E16), is seen again in the episodes Family (S5 E6) and Shadow (S5 E8).
6. The show won an Emmy award for Outstanding Music Composition for a Series (Dramatic Underscore) for the Season 2 finale Becoming (Part 1).
7. Sarah Michelle Gellar has said that her favorite episodes are The Prom, Hush, and The Body.
8. The wedding dress Buffy wears in The Prom (S3 E20) was designed by Vera Wang.
9. The UC Sunnydale campus is actually the UCLA campus with building names changed to those from UC Santa Cruz.
10. When Giles is on stage singing in Restless (S4 E22), the pianist playing with him is the show’s music composer, Christophe Beck.
11. Tom Lenk, who played Andrew, the only survivor of the Season 6 Evil Trio, originally appeared in Real Me (S5 E2) as Harmony’s minion, Cyrus.
12. Aimee Mann is the only musician who had any lines while on the show: “Man, I hate playing vampire towns.”
13. Sarah Michelle Gellar knew about the Season 5 plot (including the appearance of Dawn and Buffy’s death) three years in advance.
14. Charisma Carpenter was almost Buffy, and Sarah Michelle Gellar almost played Cordelia. The two auditioned for these roles originally, but the producers had them swap.
15. The role of the robot April in I Was Made to Love You (S5 E15) was written for Britney Spears. She turned it down.
16. Willow came out as gay in the fourth season, but it could have been Xander. Joss Whedon planned on having either Xander or Willow become gay.
17. The cost of dusting a vampire with digital effects was $5,000.
18. Xander was almost portrayed by Ryan Reynolds, but he turned down the role.
19. Halloween was the most prominently featured holiday on the show, with a Halloween episode airing in every even numbered season (2, 4, 6).
20. Sarah Michelle Gellar's announcement that she was quitting the show came via the cover of Entertainment Weekly. This was how the rest of the cast found out it was over.
For more awesome Buffy trivia, head over here!
What other Buffy the Vampire Slayer trivia and facts do you know? Share in the comments below!