Well, it is now halfway through 2016, and after some pretty good films (well, I've only seen three, though I've been to theaters five times since April), I still wonder if the films I'm still waiting for will be just as good as those I've seen. The one movie I am worried about most, however, is not due to the fact I wonder if the reception will be good. It is because I wonder if it will come out.
When Sly Cooper was announced, I was so excited. As soon as it was announced and the trailer was released, I went back to playing the series. I've been a fan of the series since at least 2007, maybe a little later, and as I still wait for the fifth game to (hopefully) be announced one day, I began to just sit and wait.
When January 2016 came, I became suspicious of the lack of trailers and talk of the film. I just thought, "Maybe they're going to delay the film until they see just how successful Ratchet and Clank will be". And now, here we are, in June, and Ratchet and Clank has become a box-office flop, as well as a critical failure, though the 6.1/10 on IMDb says there are a handful who liked the film.
As a member of Wikia, I've been on the Sly Cooper wiki for a while, and if you look at our message boards, you'll see much talk on the film. Many wonder what the heck has happened, since we haven't heard anything since before Ratchet and Clank's release.
Well, until we find out where in the name of God the film is in development, I'm going to go ahead and make a fan-cast for the film. Now, Sly, Bentley, and Murray have already been cast, so there's no need for me to fancast them, though I will say that I think Kevin Miller should return to voice Sly.
And so, without further ado, here we go:
I should probably just start at the beginning. The name's Sly. Sly Cooper. And I'm a thief, from a whole line of thieves. In fact, thieving is the family business, and business was good.
Now, Sly has supposedly already been cast, with Ian James Corlett taking over from Kevin Miller, who voiced Sly in all four games of the series, as well as spin-offs.
Now, from what I can see from the trailer, Ian's voice is fine, but it just isn't what I'm used to. So, while Kevin is my favorite, if Ian remains the voice for the film, then I'll be fine, just not altogether pleased.
Who would you rather as Sly?
Sly! Come in! Slyyyy! Can you read me?
Once again, Bentley has already been cast, with Matt Olsen returning as the character after voicing him in every incarnation of the character through the franchise and the spin-offs.
So, I think you can guess who I want as the character. I can't think of any other actor who could do it better than Matt Olsen. So I'll just leave it here.
Do you want Matt Olsen to remain as Bentley?
Fear "The Murray!"
Once again, like in Bentley's case, Murray has already been cast, with Chris Murphy returning to voice the character as he had in all incarnations of the character through the franchise and the spin-offs.
Like Bentley, I cannot think of another actor who could possibly voice this character any better than Chris Murphy. Nobody could possibly capture the awesomeness of "The Murray."
Do you think Chris Murphy should remain as Murray?
Carmelita Montoya Fox
I'll be seeing you soon...Ringtail.
Ah, Carmelita. Honestly, I have to admit that she and Sly tie for my favorite characters in the series. Throughout the series, the vixen had four different voice actresses, and while I didn't completely mind, I wanted them to just settle on one. These are my choices for her:
- Grey DeLisle: The voice actress whom I believe has done the best as the character. She voiced Carmelita in Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time and Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale. You might know her best as characters such as Catwoman from the Batman: Arkham franchise, Daphne from Scooby-Doo, and Azula from Avatar: The Last Airbender, among others. She is my favorite choice, and I hope that she returns as the character for the film. However, if she does not (God forbid), here are two others I think could do well.
- Roxanna Ortega: The original voice of Carmelita in the series, she only voiced her in the first game. Looking at most polls and comments on some sites, I have seen she and Grey have been chosen as the top two voices for the characters. I would love for Roxanna to return, seeing as how she started it all, but I think Grey beats her by a long shot.
- Rosa Salazar: This one might be a bit of a stretch. Rosa has not done much voice-acting, though she was the voice of the villain Copperhead in Batman: Arkham Origins, and she proved she could voice a character with a sultry tone well, and while Carmelita does not normally have that kind of a voice, she can be quite romantic towards Sly at times, hinting several times she loves him throughout the series before it is fully revealed at the end of the third and fourth games. Rosa has also played Brenda in The Maze Runner: Scorch Trials and Lynn in Divergent Series: Insurgent. She might not be the best choice, but with some work, maybe it could work.
Who do you think should voice Carmelita?
Cooper! You will never be rid of me!
Now for the major villain of the movie. Since the film is based on the first game in the series, and Clockwerk has already been confirmed, I am sure he will be the main antagonist. The mechanical beast who killed so many of the Coopers, including Sly's father, Conner, attempted to end an entire line just because he believed he should be the only superior thief. And he left such a mark on Sly and the gang, especially after the events of the second game, so deserves a great actor and I fortunately can think of three actors who could possibly voice him.
- Ross Douglas: The original voice for the character in the first game of the series, Ross had the perfect voice for the character, sounding similar at times to HAL from 2001: A Space Odyssey. I believe he would be very good, but he is not my prime choice for the role.
- Clancy Brown: Clancy Brown is a name I find in so many places: SpongeBob SquarePants as Mr. Krabs, Superman: The Animated Series, Justice League, and Justice League Unlimited as Lex Luthor, Dr. Neo Cortex and Uka-Uka in the original Crash Bandicoot games (Cortex Strikes Back, Warped, and The Wrath of Cortex), and The Kurgan in Highlander, among so many others. Believe it or not, Clancy has had a role in the games, in Honor Among Thieves as Lt. Gronk, the Ape commander allied with Carmelita throughout the story. I believe that if he used a variation of his Mr. Freeze voice from The Batman, he could voice the character so well. This is why he is my prime choice for the character.
- Corey Burton: Corey Burton is another voice I find in so many places, one of them being Brainiac in Superman: The Animated Series, Justice League, and Justice League Unlimited. As Brainiac, he had no emotion at all in his voice, and that is a kind of voice that would work so well for Clockwerk, a kind of voice Ross Douglas seemed to emulate in the original game. I think he would be even better than Ross, but not as good as Clancy, which is why he's my second choice for the role.
Who do you think is the best choice for Clockwerk?
The Panda King
I see you carry the cane of the notorious Cooper thief clan. Have you come for revenge? To steal back the Thievius Raccoonus?
The Panda King is a unique character. In the first game, he is the penultimate boss, being fought at his stronghold in China, where he attempts to destroy villages he deems unworthy.
He has a somewhat tragic past, have been turned away by the noblemen after showing them his fireworks, with them being unable to look past his shabby clothes and lifestyle. He attacked many villages with his fireworks, burying them under snow. When Sly defeated him, he was the only one to not give the Raccoon any information on the next member of the Fiendish Five, instead commenting on how Sly's skill with his cane was impeccable.
After this, about three years later, Sly needed a demolitions expert for the Cooper Vault job, and despite his apprehension towards the idea of joining forces with one of the group that killed his parents, he got over it and became allies with the Panda King, which lasted to the end of the job.
For this role, the only actor I can think of voicing this character is the man who voiced him in the series, Kevin Blackton. He did great in both games, especially in his larger role, and I can't wait to see the character on the big screen. I sure hope this film succeeds, because I would love to see the Panda King in a sequel based on the third game.
Do you want Kevin Blackton to return as The Panda King?
Mmm, I could feel that Cooper vibe coming. Most distastefully bad juju.
Mz. Ruby, an Alligator with a boss fight that really annoyed me as a child. A must for the role is an actress who can do a Cajun accent.
- Presciliana Esparolini: The best choice I could find, she is the original actress for the character in the first game. She seems the best choice, as she still acts today, and I don't know anyone else who could do it better than her.
Who do you think is best for the role of Mz. Ruby?
You break into my place. Steal my stuff. Trash the joint. I feel transgressed and violated! Let's rock!
Muggshot. Alias Two-Gun Tony. Also known as Meathead Muggshot. This large bulldog is one of my favorite characters in the games, though he was one of the hardest bosses for me as a kid (not much now). For this character, you need an actor who can sound like a brute, and fortunately, I was able to come up with three actors who could do just that.
- Kevin Blackton: Kevin has already voiced the character in the two games he appeared in, the original and the third, Honor Among Thieves. He has the perfect voice for the character, but then again, he is the only guy to have ever voiced the character. He would be my prime choice.
- John DiMaggio: At some points in the original game and in the third, I felt as if I could hear bits of John DiMaggio's voice there, and while I know it's not him, if Kevin didn't return to voice the character, or if he only returned as the Panda King, then John would be perfect to take over the role.
- Kevin Michael Richardson: Kevin would be a great choice for the role, because he can play large and intimidating characters quite easily, as seen by his roles as Trigon in Teen Titans, Tombstone in The Spectacular Spider-Man, and Shredder in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. He could definitely do well, but I think Kevin and John would be better choices.
Who do you think is the best choice for the role?
How delightful! We have a guest! The only thing is...I HATE UNEXPECTED GUESTS!
Last, but not least, Sir Raleigh the Frog. Despite not having the largest role, he was still the first boss of the first game, and of the series, which is quite big. Now, for this character, you must have an actor who can be eccentric, and that is why I have been able to come up with three actors that I think could be perfect for the role.
- David Scully: The original voice-actor for the character, as well as the voice of later characters such as Dimitri Losteau. He would be a great choice, because I always found him to have a different kind of eccentricity with Raleigh (not quite as much as Dimitri would later on). He is my prime choice for the character.
- Tom Kenny: Now, if you don't know this name, then you will have definitely heard his voice as SpongeBob Squarepants, The Penguin in The Batman, Spyro the Dragon in Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage, Spyro: Year of the Dragon, and Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly, Doctor Octopus in Ultimate Spider-Man, and Wheelie, the little Autobot who hits on Megan Fox in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, appearing also in Dark of the Moon. His voice would work very well for the character.
- Robin Atkin Downes: This guy has done some pretty good work through the years, including Baron Zemo and Abomination in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Manchester Black in Superman vs. the Elite, and Doomsday in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Being actually British, he is well-qualified for the role, and he can definitely play a character with a personality like Raleigh's. Though I would like him as the character, I prefer the other two as the character.
Who would you like as Raleigh?
Well, that's the end of this article. I would like to thank you all for reading it. I do really hope the movie has a confirmed release date soon, because I really want to see how one of my favorite games, as well as franchises, is translated to the big screen.
But until then, you can read this and come up with your own ideas. But in the meantime, I must go and finish playing the series. Have a great day, everyone! :)