Aside from providing us with an impressive treasure trove of streaming options, Netflix is also perhaps most commonly known for inventing the popular cultural phenomena known as #Netflix & Chill. Whether you're on your first date and just trying to perfect that tricky reach around manoeuvre, or you've been married for years and are just looking for something to drown out the noise of your wailing progeny, Netflix has something for everybody.
However, spending hours browsing through the Netflix's huge catalogue is a well known chill-blocker, so to make sure you get your date started off right, here are all the best date movies to Netflix & Chill too — prepare to take that sexual tension to a whole new level.
20. The Usual Suspects (1995)
- Type of Date: The crime solving, team-building date
- Starring: Kevin Spacey, Benicio del Toro, Pete Postlewaite & Suzy Amis
- Great for Netflix & Chill Because: You can conspire together over who the perpetrator behind the massacre is — and hold each other close with the big twist.
- Plot: Following a massacre aboard a ship, Roger 'Verbal' Kint, a con-man, is one of only two surviving humans aboard the ship. The story of how he and his criminal buddies ended up involved in this dramatic fire is told in a series of flashbacks which become increasingly complex and gripping.
19. Hero (2002)
- Type of Date: The vulnerable to turning very un-chill date
- Starring: Jet li, Tony Leung & Maggie Cheung
- Great for Netflix & Chill Because: With action scenes more breathtaking than any you've seen before, if your date turns sour, you can sack off your partner's creepy advances and lose yourself in Hero's stunning visuals instead.
- Plot: Qin, the king of one of China's ancient 7 kingdoms is under permanent threat of assassination. Consequently he must learn how to defeat his greatest adversaries, which include most of China's armies.
18. Blue is the Warmest Color (2013)
- Type of Date: The "we're not going to watch more than the opening credits" date
- Starring: Léa Seydoux & Adéle Exarchopoulos
- Great for Netflix & Chill Because: Minus all of the drawn out discussions on philosophy, art and literature, Blue is the Warmest Color has some pretty steamy moments.
- Plot: Girl meets girl, intense conversations, drama and impressively agile sex-romps ensue.
17. Jurassic Park (1993)
- Type of Date: The failsafe "nothing can go wrong when watching such a majestic movie" date
- Starring: Laura Dern, Sam Neil, Jeff Goldblum & Richard Attenborough
- Great for Netflix & Chill Because: Few things scream romance like two young children getting chased around a kitchen by a couple of stray velociraptors.
- Plot: Doddery old man resurrects dinosaurs and creates a dino-zoo on a remote island. His grandchildren arrive and chaos ensues when a rogue employee tries to steal some dino embryos, deactivating the park's security system.
16. Hot Fuzz (2007)
- Type of Date: The no strings attached date
- Starring: Simon Pegg & Nick Frost
- Great for Netflix & Chill Because: Its lighthearted lol factor means you can avoid all potential discussions about "feelings" or "commitment" or "intimacy issues."
- Plot: After super cop Nicholas Angel is transferred to a sleepy English village and paired with a hapless new partner, he uncovers a sinister conspiracy amongst the village residents.
15. Amélie (2001)
- Type of Date: The "lets make passionate love with unwavering eye-contact" date
- Starring: Audrey Tautou & Mathieu Kassovitz
- Great for Netflix & Chill Because: Paris + hopelessly quirky female lead + obsessive stalking = a perfect recipe for some heartfelt love making
- Plot: Amélie, an eccentric, reclusive woman fashions herself as a vigilante of justice for small wrongdoings against those around her, however her focus changes when she falls in love with a complete stranger.
14. Sin City 2: A Dame To Kill For (2014)
- Type of Date: The "omg let's honor the unbelievable hotness of Eva Green by making out for hours" date
- Starring: Eva Green, Mickey Rourke, Jessica Alba, Bruce Willis & Josh Brolin
- Great for Netflix & Chill Because: Nothing seethes with sexual tension quite like a comic book inspired neo noir featuring a host of beautiful celebrities doing terrible things to each other.
- Plot: With multiple storylines taking place between multiple characters, the narratives of Sin City's most notorious, morally bankrupt inhabitants begin to interweave to glorious effect.
13. Superbad (2007)
- Type of Date: The "we're not trying to impress each other anymore" date
- Starring: Jonah Hill, Michael Cera, Emma Stone, Seth Rogen & Bill Hader
- Great for Netflix & Chill Because: There is nothing sexy about this movie. You can sit back, relax and let it all hang out with your chill partner because you're more McLovin' than HotLovin.'
- Plot: Before graduating from high school, Seth and Evan want to go to a party and lose their virginities. However, this proves (unsurprisingly) more difficult than either of them ever expected.
12. Moonrise Kingdom (2012)
- Type of Date: The "do we both love movies about white dysfunctional characters and symmetrical framing" date?
- Starring: Bruce Willis, Tilda Swinton, Edward Norton, Frances McDormand & Bill Murray
- Great for Netflix & Chill Because: Tamer than a sedated rabbit, Moonrise Kingdom along with all of Wes Anderson's insufferably 'idiosyncratic' movies, will only ever keep things light, white and easy to smooch all the way through too.
- Plot: While attending Camp Ivanhoe, twelve-year-old orphan Sam falls in love with twelve-year-old Suzy who lives on the island with her parents. The two decide to secretly run away together, which causes a local search party to try and find them.
11. Pulp Fiction (1994)
- Type of Date: The "shall we rack up a couple of lines & order a burger while we chill" date
- Starring: Samuel L. Jackson, Uma Thurman, John Travolta, Bruce Willis & Harvey Keitel
- Great for Netflix & Chill Because: With its graphic violence, witty one liners, gimps, adrenaline injections straight to the heart and long discussions about Big Kahuna burgers, it'll give you tons of potential talking topics if conversation begins to run dry.
- Plot: The separate stories of a boxer, two hit men, a gangster's wife and a pair of diner bandits begin to overlap in this movie about revenge and redemption.
10. Jiro Dreams Of Sushi (2011)
- Type of Date: The "we're definitely ordering takeout after all this chill" date
- Starring: Jiro Ono
- Great for Netflix & Chill Because: Sushi
- Plot: Following 85-year-old sushi grandmaster, Jiro Ono, this documentary explores the inner workings of his tiny Michelin starred restaurant in Tokyo and his relationship with his son and heir, Yoshikazu.
9. Stranger By The Lake (2014)
- Type of Date: The "lets talk about our kinkiest sexual fantasies" date
- Starring: Pierre Deladonchamps, Christophe Paou and Patrick d'Assumçao
- Great for Netflix & Chill Because: Before you watched it, you never realized you could get so aroused by cruising and murder.
- Plot: While visiting an idyllic cruising spot by a lake, Franck falls head over heels for Michel, a potentially lethal. murderous man.
8. Frank (2014)
- Type of Date: The "lets explore our inner tortured artists" date
- Starring: Maggie Gyllenhaal, Michael Fassbender & Domhnall Gleeson
- Great for Netflix & Chill Because: Maggie Gyllenhaal plays an angsty theremin player and Michael Fassbender spends most of the movie inside a giant papier mâché head.
- Plot: An aspiring young musician called Jon realizes he's in over his head when he joins a pop band lead by the mysterious, papier mâché head wearing Frank and they head to SXSW.
7. Mullholland Drive (2001)
- Type of Date: The "let's look into the void together" date
- Starring: Naomi Watts, Lara Elena Harring & Justin Theroux
- Great for Netflix & Chill because: You can miss large chunks of the movie and finish it with just as much clarity as if you'd watched the entire thing.
- Plot: Debatable
6. Victoria (2015)
- Type of Date: The "dramatic no chill" date
- Starring: Laia Costa & Frederick Lau
- Great for Netflix & Chill because: There is zero amount of chill, meaning that your date has no option but to be explosive, dramatic, and shot all in one take.
- Plot: Shot all in one epic 138-minute-long take, Victoria follows a Spanish woman who's recently moved to Berlin and ends up getting accidentally involved in a heist, with serious consequences.
5. O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)
- Type of Date: The "would we be compatible convicts" date
- Starring: George Clooney, John Turturro, Holly Hunter & John Goodman
- Great for Netflix & Chill because: George Clooney sings.
- Plot: In the deep American south sometime during the '30s, three convicts escape prison and begin an epic search for some hidden treasure while the law is on their tail.
4. Barbarella (1968)
- Type of Date: The "how much glorious camp can we tolerate as a couple" date
- Starring: Jane Fonda & John Phillip Law
- Great for Netflix & Chill because: It has one of the most iconic opening sequences in movie history (i.e. Jane Fonda de-robing from her astro suit, in an anti gravity chamber, totally nude).
- Plot: Barbarella, an astronaut from the 41st century, begins a mission to stop evil scientist Durand Durand from bringing evil back into the galaxy with his Positronic Ray.
3. Basic Instinct (1992)
- Type of Date: The "sussing out if one of us is a psychopath" date
- Starring: Sharon Stone, Michael Douglas & George Dzundza
- Great for Netflix & Chill because: It deals with seduction, temptation and manipulative eroticism in all its glorious, mood-making, leg-spreading forms.
- Plot: A suspended police detective with a history for violence begins investigating a brutal murder which has a sexually manipulative, seductive woman right at the centre of it.
2. Love Actually (2003)
- Type of Date: The "are we actually an insufferable couple" date
- Starring: Emma Thompson, Laura Linney, Keira Knightly, Hugh Grant, Liam Neeson, Colin Firth, Alan Rickman, Bill Nighy & Martine McCutcheon
- Great for Netflix & Chill because: It's slushy, tear-jerking romance at it's absolute sickly best.
- Plot: Love Actually follows the stories of eight different couples all coping with the various dramas that their love lives entail in the run up to Christmas in England.
1. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953)
- Type of Date: The 'would you hire a private detective to spy on me' date
- Starring: Marilyn Monroe & Jane Russell
- Great for Netflix & Chill because: Diamonds are a girls best friend
- Plot: After traveling to Paris, showgirls Lorelei Lee and Dorothy Shaw are pursued by a private detective who's been hired by the suspicious father of Lorelei's fiancé, a rich elderly man and several other doting admirers to spy on them.
What's your favorite movie to 'Netflix & Chill' to, & why?