Certain movie quotes just trip off the tongue so easily, but it turns out that a lot of us are falling flat on our faces when we try to show off our cinematic know-how.
Below are some of the most commonly misquoted lines and how they actually sounded straight from the horse's mouth.
1. Silence Of The Lambs
One of the most often quoted lines from Silence of the Lambs (apart from that one that put you off fava beans for life) is never actually uttered by Hannibal Lecter. In the scene where Clarice Starling receives a phone call from the cannibalistic serial killer, he doesn't actually deliver a standard greeting. And nope, he doesn't say "hello" when they first meet either.
- The Misquoted Line: "Hello, Clarice."
- The Actual Line: "Well, Clarice."
2. Snow White
We all know the famous "mirror, mirror" line, right? WRONG!
The Misquoted Line: "Mirror mirror, on the wall — who is the fairest of them all?"
The Actual Line: "Magic mirror, on the wall — who is the fairest one of all?"
3. Dirty Harry
While the sentiment of the iconic Clint Eastwood line remains the same, the words themselves have been condensed over the passage of time into a more quotable little nugget.
- The Misquoted Line: “Do you feel lucky, punk?”
- The Actual Line: “You’ve got to ask yourself one question: ‘Do I feel lucky?’ Well, do ya punk?”
4. The Graduate
Seems like us viewers are just as flustered as the hapless graduate himself when we try and remember Mrs. Robinson's seduction techniques!
The Misquoted Line: “Mrs. Robinson, are you trying to seduce me?”
The Actual Line: “Mrs. Robinson, you’re trying to seduce me. Aren’t you?”
5. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Well, I guess we were ALMOST there. To be fair, it is quite difficult to hear through that breathing apparatus!
- The Misquoted Line: "Luke, I am your father.”
- The Actual Line: "No. I am your father."
At least we can all quote the theme music right. Duh Duh Duhduhduhduhduhduh DUH DUH!
- The Misquoted Line: "We’re gonna need a bigger boat!”
- The Actual Line: “You’re gonna need a bigger boat!”
7. The Wizard of Oz
When I was a child I was convinced Dorothy and Toto lived in "canvas" because the colorized movie looked like a painting, so at least most people aren't as wrong as tiny little past me.
- The Misquoted Line: “Toto, I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore."
- The Actual Line: “Toto, I’ve a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore.”
No matter how you say it, it's still totally tear-jerking, but if you want to be pedantic about it there is a right and wrong way for Rose to let Jack go.
The Misquoted Line: "I'll never let you go, Jack."
The Actual line: "I'll never let go. I promise."
As if Frankenstein would be so rude about his painstakingly pieced together creation!
- The Misquoted Line: "It's alive."
- The Actual Line: "He's alive."
Which movie quote do you often hear being misquoted?