When it comes to love, it's easy for your heart to grant your head an indefinite leave of absence while you blissfully skip the to altar with love hearts dancing in your eyes, but sadly these blissful feelings aren't always long-term.
All of the couples below have been through the heartbreak of divorce in 2017 after marrying someone who turned out to be less than their perfect mate, but some have done it more harmoniously than others. Check out the celebrity divorces from 2017 (and 2016 further down the page) below.
1. Janet Jackson And Wissam Al Mana
How Long Were They Together? Janet announced the pair were married in 2013, but there is speculation that they might have been married for five years in secret.
When Did They Announce Their Split? Janet and Wissam have not publically announced their split just yet, but multiple sources confirm the pair have parted ways just 3 months after their first child was born.
2. David Schwimmer And Zoe Buckman
How Long Were They Together? David and Zoe were married for almost seven years.
When Did They Announce Their Split? The pair released the following statement to US Weekly on April 5 2017:
'It is with great love, respect and friendship that we have decided to take some time apart while we determine the future of our relationship. Our priority is, of course, our daughter's happiness and well being during this challenging time, and so we ask for your support and respect for our privacy as we continue to raise her together and navigate this new chapter for our family.'
1. Scarlett Johannson And Romain Dauriac
- How Long Were They Together? Scarlett and Romain got together in 2012 and married on October 1st 2014. They were together for just over four years.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? The couple have not yet made an official statement about their split, but Gossipcop is verifying the divorce as 100 percent real and it has been reported by many press outlets.
Johansson and Dauriac reportedly split in the summer of 2016, but the news of their breakup has only just reached the press. The pair have one daughter named Rose Dorothy Dauriac together and seem committed to a peaceable breakup. An image of the former-couple visiting an art gallery (see above) has already emerged showing them posing together after news of the divorce broke as proof of their united front.
UPDATE - March 8 2017:
Scarlett Johansson has officially filed for divorce from her husband Romain Dauriac at a New York City court.
UPDATE - March 9 2017:
Scarlett Johansson is seeking primary residential custody of the former couple's daughter, Rose, but Dauriac plans to fight her proposition. According to his attorney, he will file for primary custody for the 2-year-old to reside with him in France.
The argument is that Dauriac has a more stable lifestyle than Johansson who is required to travel regularly for work.
Johansson has responded to details of her private life becoming public with the following statement:
“As a devoted mother and private person and with complete awareness that my daughter will one day be old enough to read the news about herself, I would only like to say that I will never, ever be commenting on the dissolution of my marriage. Out of respect for my desires as a parent and out of respect for all working moms, it is with kindness that I ask other parties involved and the media to do the same. Thank you.”
Update - March 10 2017:
Romain Dauriac has released a decidedly shady statement in response to Scarlett's request for privacy suggesting that she is to blame for bringing the divorce battle into the public eye:
"It is indeed unfortunate, especially for our daughter, that Scarlett filed in Court and made our personal differences so public. I would implore her to withdraw her action promptly and go back, as uncomfortable as it might be, to the negotiating table. We are the parents of a lovely daughter whom we will continue to co-parent for many years and share her joys and sorrows as only a parent can."
2. Cuba Gooding Jr. And Sara Kapfer
- How Long Were They Together? Cuba and Sara were high school sweethearts who were married in 1994 and were together for over 20 years.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? Cuba Gooding Jr. and his wife actually announced their breakup back in 2014, but Gooding Jr. only filed for divorce on January 19 2017.
2017 might have only just began leaving a trail of broken hearts in its wake, but 2016 was a truly crushing year for celebrity divorce with high profile couples such as Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp and Amber Heard parting ways. Below are all of the celeb divorces from 2016:
1. Sia And Erik Anders Lang
- How Long Were They Together? Sia married documentary filmmaker Erik Anders Lang in August 2014 after a two month engagement. They were married for 2.5 years before they split.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? Sia filed for divorce on December 20 2016.
After announcing their intention to go their separate ways, Sia and Erik released a statement which read:
"After much soul searching and consideration we have made the decision to separate as a couple. We are, however, dedicated to remaining friends. There will be no further comment."
3. Kate Beckinsale And Len Wiseman
- How Long Were They Together? The pair met on the set of Underworld back in 2013 married a year later.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? Although Kate Beckinsale and Len Wiseman announced their split back in 2015, Wiseman only filed for the dissolution of their marriage on October 25 2016.
4. Tobey Maguire And Jennifer Meyers
- How Long Were They Together? Maguire met his jewelery designer wife in 2003 on the set of Seabiscuit. They started a relationship shortly afterwards and were engaged in 2006 and married the following year. Tobey and Jennifer have two children — a daughter named Ruby and a son named Otis.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? The pair released a statement about their split on October 18 2016, it reads:
“After much soul searching and consideration we have made the decision to separate as a couple. As devoted parents, our first priority remains raising our children together with enduring love, respect and friendship.”
5. Naya Rivera and Ryan Dorsey
- How Long Were They Together? The pair dated in 2010, but Naya called the relationship off to focus on her career. They eventually married in 2014, just a few months after Rivera called off her engagement to Big Sean. They were married for two years.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? Naya and Ryan announced their split on November 21 2016.
After the breakup, Naya and Ryan released a statement to People magazine that read:
"After much consideration, we have made the decision to end our marriage. Our priority is and always will be our beautiful son that we share together. We will continue to be great co-parenting partners for him. We ask for respect and privacy for our family during this difficult time.”
6. Naomi Watts And Liev Schreiber
- How Long Were They Together? Schreiber and Watts were together for 11 years before they announced their split.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? The pair told the world the sad news about their breakup on September 26 2016 with a public statment they released together.
Liev and Naomi, who have two children together, asked the world to respect their privacy during this deeply emotional time with the following statement:
Over the past few months we’ve come to the conclusion that the best way forward for us as a family is to separate as a couple. It is with great love, respect, and friendship in our hearts that we look forward to raising our children together and exploring this new phase of our relationship. While we appreciate your curiosity and support, we ask the press to be mindful of our children and respect their right to privacy.
7. Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie
- How Long Were They Together? Brangelina (RIP) were together for over a decade after infamously getting together after working on Mr. & Mrs. Smith back in 2004. They married in 2014, partly for the sake of their six children, but the wedded bliss didn't last.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? TMZ got ahold of papers stating that Angelina was filing for divorce on September 20 2016.
The world took a collective gasp when the seemingly golden couple announced their split, truly cementing 2016 as the year when love died. It has been confirmed that Angelina chose to divorce Brad over disagreements centred around the star's parenting methods. Negotiations over the custody of the couple's six children continue.
8. Johnny Depp & Amber Heard
- How Long Were They Together? The pair got together in 2012 after meeting on the set of The Rum Diaries back in 2009. They were married on February 3, 2015.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? Heard filed for divorce on May 23, 2016.
Heard and Depp filed for divorce after just over a year of marriage in the midst of domestic abuse allegations. Depp's legal team accused Heard of accusing the 53-year-old actor for financial gain in the press and the 30-year-old star responded by withdrawing her claim for spousal support. Heard eventually donated her settlement from the divorce to charity.
9. Jenny Slate and Dean Fleischer-Camp
- How Long Were They Together? Writer and actor Jenny Slate and her editor husband, Dean Fleischer-Camp were married for almost four years before they decided to go it alone.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? The couple announced their separation in May 2016.
10. Kaley Cuoco & Ryan Sweeting
- How Long Were They Together? The pair were married for 21 months before their whirlwind romance fell apart. Maybe this proves rushing into things isn't always a good thing because they were only engaged for three months before they were married.
When Did They Announce Their Split? The pair announced their split on September 26, 2015, but the divorce was only finalized this year.
Poor Kaley Cuoco just doesn't seem to be lucky in love. She split with her tennis player beau after his prescription drug addiction took control of his life, but thankfully she signed a prenup before she was married.
11. Nicolette Sheridan & Aaron Phypers
- How Long Were They Together? Sheridan married Phypers in secret in on December 12, 2015. It's not known exactly how long they were together.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? The pair announced their split (and marriage!) on July 16, 2016.
Not much is known about this private relationship, but the Desperate Housewives star has been married for under a year once before and has had multiple failed engagements. Hopefully the next dude will be the one!
12. Mary J. Blige and Martin “Kendu” Isaacs
- How Long Were They Together? The pair were married back in 2003 and lived in matrimony for 12 years before deciding to park ways due to"irreconcilable differences."
- When Did They Announce Their Split? Mary decided to split from her husband and manager in July 2017.
13. Drew Barrymore & Will Kopelman
- How Long Were They Together? Drew and Will go together in early 2011 and were married on June 2, 2012. The couple decided to call in quits in 2016 after five years together.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? The pair released a joint statement detailing their intentions to divorce on April 2, 2016.
Drew and Will have two beautiful children together, but ultimately realized they weren't meant to be this year. Their split appears to be amicable and they are both involved with their children's lives. This is Barrymore's second divorce, although her first marriage only lasted 19 days.
14. Casey Affleck And Summer Phoenix
- How Long Were They Together? Casey and Summer started dating in 2000 and were together for 16 years before they decided to call it quits.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? The former-couple announced their split on March 16 2016.
The couple released a simple statement to People magazine when they split that read:
"Casey Affleck and Summer Phoenix have amicably separated. They remain very close friends"
They have two children together, Indiana, 12, and Atticus, 8.
15. Gwyneth Paltrow & Chris Martin
- How Long Were They Together? Paltrow and Martin got together in 2012 and were married a year later. They were together for 11 years before they "consciously uncoupled."
- When Did They Announce Their Split? Gwyneth Paltrow announced her divorce on her lifestyle website in March 2014, but the divorce was only finalized this year.
Paltrow made waves when she announced she was "consciously uncoupling" as opposed to getting a plain old divorce, but it seems to have worked for the former couple! The pair are both involved in the lives of their two children, Apple and Moses, and even vacation together.
16. Lisa Marie Presley & Andrew Lockwood
- How Long Were They Together? Lisa Marie Presley and Andrew Lockwood (otherwise know as "WTF is that hat?!" guy) were married for 10 years.
When Did They Announce Their Split? Lisa Marie announced the divorce on June 28, 2016.
Presley has been married twice before (once to Nicholas Cage) and has two twin girls with her former husband, tour musician Lockwood.
17. Dennis Quaid & Kimberly Buffington
- How Long Were They Together? The pair were married for 12 years, but it always appears to have been a turbulent union.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? The pair announced their split in June of this year.
Quaid and Buffington were singing from a familiar hymn sheet when they announced their divorce this year. The couple have previously filed for divorce and changed their minds three times.
18. Khloé Kardashian & Lamar Odom
- How Long Were They Together? Khloé and Lamar were married in 2009, a month after they first met. Khloé first filed for divorce in 2013 but revoked the decision after Lamar's near-death experience.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? Khloé filed for divorce for the second time on May 26, 2016.
Lamar and Khloé briefly reconciled after he survived an unintentional overdose at a Nevada brothel, but they couldn't recapture their love after Odom refused to stop drinking and partying.
Listen to Khloé talk about her decision to withdraw her divorce for the first time in the interview below:
19. Mandy Moore & Ryan Adams
- How Long Were They Together? The pair were married in March 2009 and split after six years of marriage.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? Moore filed for divorce in 2015, citing irreconcilable differences. Their divorce was finalized on June 23, 2016.
Although their divorce might have taken a long time, Moore and Adams described the split as a "respectful, amicable parting of ways."
20. James McAvoy & Anne-Marie Duff
- How Long Were They Together? These former lovebirds met on the set of Shameless (the actually good British version) and married in 2006. They were together for almost 10 years.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? The couple announced they were going their separate ways on May 13, 2016.
Although McAvoy and Duff have split, they remain amicable and intend to continue raising their 5-year-old son, Brendan, together.
21. Frances Bean Cobain & Isaiah Silva
- How Long Were They Together? The pair married in 2014 and split after two years.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? Cobain filed for divorce on March 23, 2016.
Frances's split does not appear to be going down without a fight and her ex is reportedly in a bitter legal battle with her over one of her late father's guitars.
22. Adriana Lima & Marko Jaric
- How Long Were They Together? Lima and Serbian basketball player Jaric were together for around six years after getting married in 2008 after 9 months together.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? The pair announced their split in 2014, but the divorce was only finalized this year.
Lima and her former husband have two daughters together and are committed to co-parenting the girls.
23. Rose McGowan & Davey Detail
- How Long Were They Together? McGowan and artist Detail were engaged in July 2013 after dating for a year. They were together for around four years.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? The divorce was announced in February 2016.
McGowan had been engaged twice before she met Davey, but this was the first time it actually ended in marriage.
If you need cheering up after all those dashed dreams, check out all the celebs who are expecting in 2016 HERE.
Do you think 2016 has been a bad year for love?