Whether you know her as the Hit-Girl from Kick-Ass, the exceptional cello player Mia from If I Stay or the badass survivor Cassie from The 5th Wave, it's likely that you have been amazed by Chloë Grace Moretz at some point or another. The 19 year old star has been a staple of Hollywood for the past decade, appearing in a startling 55 films in her young career — which speaks for itself.
However, during her recent appearance at the Deauville American Film Festival in France, Moretz announced that she has quit all of her upcoming films. After wrapping upcoming thriller November Criminals and psychological drama Brain On Fire back-to-back, she had an epiphany. She said:
"So I pulled the plug on all my movies because I want to reassess who I am and find myself within my roles again... I’m realizing that I can slow down."
She also said that she had lost sight of why she started acting, stating that the pace of several movies a year caused her to focus more on box-office success. With the talented actress taking time off, let's take a look at the two upcoming films that she will no longer be a part of.
The Modern Ocean
Moretz was set to star in The Modern Ocean alongside an all-star cast. The film will be directed by Shane Carruth, who will also appear in it.
- Director: Shane Carruth
- Starring: Anne Hathaway, Daniel Radcliffe, Keanu Reeves, Tom Holland, Asa Butterfield, Abraham Atta, Jeff Goldblum and Shane Carruth
- What It's About: The Modern Ocean will focus on "the competition for valuable shipping routes, the search for the hidden cache of priceless material and the powerful need for vengeance will converge in a spectacular battle on the rolling decks of behemoth cargo ships. This epic tale, fraught with danger and intrigue, takes us from the ancient trading houses of Algeria to the darkest depths of the ocean floor," according to its press release.
- Why I'll Miss Her In It: Although it may be considered an all-star blockbuster, it sounds more like a really compelling, character-driven story that just happens to have big names attached to it. Moretz has proven time and again that she's one of the best young actresses in Hollywood and has held her own against some of the biggest names out there. Remember she managed to stand out in Dark Shadows despite starring with names like Johnny Depp and Michelle Pfeiffer and she also stole the show in Carrie despite appearing with Julianne Moore. It would have been amazing to see her do it again, alongside Hathaway, Reeves, Radcliffe and Goldblum. Furthermore, it's pretty cool that it also features Hathaway and Holland as it would have been really fun to see Hit-Girl on screen with Spider-Man and Catwoman.
- Why The 5th Wave Franchise Still Has Life
- Chloë Grace Moretz Reveals New Tats & Their Meanings
- How The 5th Wave's Deleted Scenes Made The Movie Closer To The Novel
The Little Mermaid
Moretz was also set to star as the titular character in Universal's highly-anticipated live-action adaptation The Little Mermaid. If Moretz has departed this project too, she will join former directors who also left the film which has been in development since at least 2011.
- Directed By: Unknown (formerly Sofia Coppola and Joe Wright)
- Starring: Unknown
- What It's About: As the film is practically still in development stage, an official plot has not been released. But we can certainly speculate that it will be close to the plot of the Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale, which follows a young mermaid who is willing to give up her life in the sea and her identity as a mermaid to gain a human soul.
- Why I'll Miss Her From It: Chloë Grace Moretz has such a strong screen presence that I was thrilled to hear she had been cast in The Little Mermaid. As this isn't the cartoon version, it's likely going to be more dramatic and that's something Moretz excels at, having delivered strong dramatic performances in If I Stay and Carrie, where she was able to move us to tears in one and chill us to the bone in the other. She is completely capable of doing the iconic character justice and it's sad that we won't see her get to do so. She also has a large fanbase which would have helped the film's success a great deal. And the film may have even increased her popularity as well — if that's even possible! It's also a shame that she dropped out of it because she really seemed to be excited for it:
Where You Can See Her Next
Despite the fact that Moretz has dropped out of her upcoming projects, this is not the last you will see of her. She will appear in November Criminals as Pheobe, starring alongside Ansel Escort, as well as starring in the biographical film Brain On Fire in which she will portray Susannah Cahalan. She has already wrapped filming on both of these, which are set to be released soon — although a public release date has not been given for them yet, the latter premiered at this year's Toronto International Film Festival.
Furthermore, there is still speculation that we may see sequels to her previous films If I Stay and The 5th Wave, both of which are based off novels with follow-ups. So it's always likely that she would return for those if they were announced.
In the meantime, Moretz will be setting her sights on TV, as she is producing two different shows which she is set to shop around very soon.
So while the news that Chloë Grace Moretz has dropped out of her upcoming film roles will surely upset many — including myself — it does indeed show maturity on her part. She's old enough and respected enough and should be allowed to change her mind. After doing over 50 films, I think it's safe to say that she has definitely earned a rest from leading roles for a while, and I look forward to what she does next. But no matter what happens, both The Modern Ocean and The Little Mermaid will be worse off without her presence.
Are you sad to see Chloë Grace Moretz depart these upcoming films? Or are you happy to see her focusing on other projects instead? Let us know in the comments!