Grab your blindfolds and floggers, Fifty Shades fans, because it's time to venture back into Christian Grey's Red Room of Pain!
It's been almost two years since the film adaptation of E.L. James's controversial erotic novel Fifty Shades of Grey took the world by storm, and it's taken us nearly that long to cool off.
After a somewhat tumultuous development process, we finally saw that all is well with the world of Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele, in the first full-length trailer for the sequel Fifty Shades Darker. The trailer already suggests that director James Foley's Darker will be as sexy and thrilling as its predecessor.
The trailer not only includes more romance, steamy makeouts and helicopter rides, but it also shows some intriguing new actors joining Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson. So, without further ado, it's time we get a little more familiar with our three new antagonists: Elena, Leila and Jack.
- Portrayed by: Kim Basinger
- Character biography: Nicknamed "Mrs. Robinson" by Anastasia, Elena Lincoln was a family friend of the Grey's who introduced Christian to the world of BDSM when he was 15 years old.
- Character description:
I peek up at him, and suddenly he blanches—something, or someone, has caught his eye. I turn to see where he’s looking, and right at the back of the salon a sleek platinum blonde has appeared, closing a door behind her and speaking to one of the hair stylists. Platinum Blonde is tall, tanned, lovely, and in her late thirties or forties—it’s difficult to tell. She’s wearing the same uniform as Greta, but in black. She looks stunning. Her hair shines like a halo, cut in sharp bob. As she turns, she catches sight of Christian and smiles at him, a dazzling smile of warm recognition." "I know who it is. It’s her. Stunning, older, beautiful. It’s Mrs. Robinson. (Fifty Shades Darker p.68-69)
Fans will finally get to meet the woman who taught Christian the tricks of the trade. Elena, a.k.a. Mrs. Robinson, is played by Kim Basinger. At 62, the actress might be a little older than the character is described, but she is certainly no less gorgeous.
- Portrayed by: Bella Heathcote
- Character biography: Leila Williams is one of Christian's 15 ex-submissives. He eventually ended things with her because she "wanted more" out of their relationship. Suffice it to say she doesn't take the news of Christian and Ana's budding romance very well.
- Character description:
I turn expectantly, and an ashen young woman approaches me cautiously. She looks like a ghost—so pale and strangely blank.""Like me, she has dark hair that starkly contrasts with her fair skin. Her eyes are brown, like bourbon, but flat. There’s no life in them at all. Her beautiful face is pale, and etched with sorrow.""On closer inspection, she looks odd, disheveled and uncared for. Her clothes are two sizes too big, including her designer trench coat. (Fifty Shades Darker p.41-42)
There isn't much physical description for Leila other than that she looks like a more unkempt Anastasia. The blonde 29-year-old had to darken her locks to pull off Leila's looks, but I think she already looks the part.
Want to learn more about Fifty Shades Darker? Check out these other related articles:
- Sexhibition: Super-NSFW 'Fifty Shades Darker' Trailer Is Packing Some Serious Heat
- Everything We Know About 'Fifty Shades Darker,' From New Faces To Nudity
- 'Fifty Shades Darker' Is Only As Good As Its Villains, And The Villains Are Awesome
- Portrayed by: Eric Johnson
- Character biography: Like Christian, Jack Hyde has a dark and complicated past, but I can't go into too much detail without giving away the best bits. Jack is introduced in the first book after Anastasia is hired to be his assistant at Seattle Independent Publishing. From the trailer alone it's clear that his intentions might not be solely professional.
- Character description:
At the head of the Maplewood conference table sits a young man with red hair tied in a ponytail. Small, silver, hooped earrings glint in both his ears. He wears a pale blue shirt, no tie, and grey flannel trousers. As I approach him, he stands and gazes at me with fathomless dark blue eyes. (Fifty Shades of Grey p.264)
Mr. Jack Hyde . . . he smiles down at me, his blue eyes twinkling, as he leans against my desk. (Fifty Shades Darker p.9)
It goes without question that Eric Johnson looks the least like his character. Gone are the red hair, ponytail, and hooped earrings, not that I mind too much.
You don't have to have read the series to realize that there are a lot of people looking to stand in the way of Anastasia and Christian's happiness — and these three seem to be less friend and more foe
Other notable newcomers include Hugh Dancy as Dr. John Flynn, Tyler Hoechlin as Boyce Fox and Fay Masterson as Gail Jones.
In addition to Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson, Eloise Mumford, Luke Grimes, Rita Ora and Marcia Gay Harden are reprising their roles in the franchise.
The first trailer leaves us with many questions. What threats do these new characters pose to our protagonist? Will Anastasia and Christian find middle ground between "kinky f**kery" and a "regular vanilla relationship"? Most importantly, how many more fantastic Beyoncé covers will the sequel include? Thankfully we only have to wait until February for all of our questions to be answered.
Fifty Shades Darker will premiere on February 10, 2017.